Software Engineer Service Mesh
Remote job description
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we're on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We've got 10 million customers across the globe and we're growing. Fast. Platform teams support the mission by building solid foundations for engineers to build on.
About the role
We are looking for a Software Engineer with a microservices focus to join our core network connectivity team.
Our team defines Wise's core networking, and develops and operates our Envoy-based service mesh on top of Kubernetes. Other teams build on this so hundreds of distributed microservices can communicate reliably and securely with each other.
Our networking stack encompasses AWS fundamentals, ingress and egress stack, and our Envoy-based service mesh - the latter instrumented by our custom Java-based service mesh control plane. We need to strike the right level of abstraction for new features, while keeping existing users and possible migration paths in mind.
We operate on a strong belief in automation, programmatic implementation, and reusable design. We're looking for people who can step back and think holistically about the ecosystem, but also follow through and help implement the design; drawing on the resources across the rest of the platform tribe.
As we grow, the demand for creating and connecting new environments grows as well, and use-cases get more complex. We need to sustain this growth by continuously iterating on the services we run, with a laser focus on availability, security, and ease of use. We're looking for an engineer with relevant experience who can analyse complex requirements and deliver simple solutions to help our teams achieve our mission with speed and confidence.
You will, together with us
- Extend our service mesh to various workloads across diverse environments
- Rebuild our ingress and egress pipelines using reliable L4 and L7 proxies
- Develop our Java-based mesh control plane further
- Contribute upstream to the Envoy project
- Participate in a team on-call rotation
- Proficiency in Java coding, testing and production aspects
- Reading familiarity with Golang and/or C++ (writing won't hurt either!)
- Kubernetes microservices and networking experience
- Networking protocols from L3 to L7 & application-level concerns.
- Troubleshooting system & networking troubles on the Linux command line
Nice to have
- Operating reliable software-based L4 and L7 proxies (e.g. Envoy, Nginx)
- EBPF-based packet filtering and tooling experience
- Familiarity with transport layer security and certificate management
- Works efficiently in a team to bring projects to completion
- Strong communicator, written and verbal
- Driven to automate manual operations
- Thinks about risks, security and reliability
- Open to both mentoring others as well as learning from them
- Looks for opportunity to add impact and challenge the norm
- More about us here: https://medium.com/transferwise-engineering/the-transferwise-stack-2020-edition-68f70267501b.
- And for a sneak peek into the Wise world of (Platform) Engineering check out our Tech Blog: https://medium.com/transferwise-engineering/tagged/platform.
What we offer in return:
- Competitive base salary
- Generous stock options package
- Personal development budget and access to courses
- And lots of other awesome Wise benefits
A bit about Wise...
Since 2011, we've had a clear mission: money without borders. Built by and for people who live global lives, we're the fairest, easiest way to manage your money across borders.
We're just at the beginning of our story and we're growing at an incredible pace. We won't stop until anyone, anywhere can send, spend and receive money wherever they are, whatever they're doing. There's still heaps to do and we can't do it alone.
At Wise, you'll be joining a movement of people who believe in a better, fairer, more transparent way of moving money around the world. You'll collaborate to do your best work and take on problems that no one has looked at before.
If you're keen to learn, grow, try new things and aren't afraid of a bold plan, you'll fit right in.
How we work...
At Wise our strategy emerges from the collective brainpower of all our people, who are organized in dozens of independent, autonomous teams. Teams stay closest to our customers, so they choose what problems to solve and where to spend the most time.
You'll experience radical levels of ownership and empowerment within your role. Plus the opportunity to see the direct impact of your work on our customers.
Company name: Wise
Remote job title: Software Engineer Service Mesh
Job tags: marketplace, fintech, forex, sharing economy