Do you enjoy building user experiences and rock-solid APIs? Are you passionate about metrics and using them to understand how your user works? Do you love building new things, solving problems, and understanding how a system works, end-to-end? Do you relish putting your head down and focusing on delivering features, but are also adept at direct engagement with your users, UX designers, product management and peer engineers? Do you find satisfaction in collaborating with other hardworking people that you can both help develop and learn from yourself?
If so, let's talk!
We've built an extensive web application and API that helps our customer deal with the complexity that is security operations. Our team's main focus is improving the experience for our own security analysts, who use the product every single day to keep our customers safe. Our customers use the same web application, so the features you build may very well be seen at the board level across a dozen industries.
Our team values being actively inclusive and supportive, innovation through rapid iteration, and intelligent execution over heroics. We deliver consistently for our customers, and we use data to measure quality and drive us to get better at what we do. If this sounds like the kind of team you'd like to join, we'd love to hear from you!
What Expel can do for you
- Give you challenging, real world problems on which to use your skills and experience
- Expose you to the information security space and the process of security analysis
- Develop your expertise in current technologies such as Ember, NodeJS, Go, Kubernetes, ElasticSearch, and Go
- Experience within a growing, highly transparent startup environment
What you can do for Expel
- Understand our security analysts and users' pain and address it
- Enthusiastically reinforce our belief in good software engineering practices, including code reviews and unit testing
- Adapt to changes of direction because, hey, startup life
- Poke fun at our leadership team in creative ways
What you should bring with you
- A desire and ability to constantly learn and improve yourself and your work products
- Able to communicate and work effectively with others
- Experience developing web applications and APIs
- Experience in a wide array of web technologies and services (e.g. HTML5/CSS, Node.js, REST, JSON)
- Solid understanding of relational databases and database architectures
- Experience with one or more SPA frameworks (e.g. angular, react, ember, vue)
- Experience in infrastructure-as-a-service (cloud) environments (e.g. GCP, AWS)
- Exposure to Google Analytics, Elastic Search, and Redis
- A bachelor's degree or compelling story
- 2-5 years of full-stack development experience
At Expel, our employee benefits reflect our commitment to our crew. Unlimited PTO, equity for everyone, work location flexibility, up to 24 weeks of parental leave, and excellent health benefits are some of the ways we care for our Expletives.
- This role will be based out of our offices in Herndon, Virginia. We will consider 100% remote work for this position.
- We're only hiring those authorized to work in the United States. We do not currently sponsor immigration visas.
We're an Equal Opportunity Employer: You'll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We'll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let us know if you need accommodation of any kind.
Apply for this Job
First Name *
Software Engineer (Full Stack)