Senior Software Engineer Transport Data
Remote job description
Citymapper makes cities usable, helping people move through urban spaces, getting people from A to B.
The Transport Data team is looking for a senior engineer to work on its systems handling public transport data: schedules, live status, disruptions, search, live traffic, vehicle positions, etc. (there's always more stuff to plug in).
Without good transport data, specifically public transport timetables and realtime information, the Citymapper app would not exist. Transport data powers our cutting edge multimodal journey planner - renowned in complex cities with complex transport networks.
We offer the opportunity to build essential information for millions of users - letting them know when the next bus is arriving, which trains are disrupted, and what time they should leave to get home.
What you'll do
- Empower our city experts by building robust, reliable software for wrangling and debugging transport data
- Collaborate with the product, apps and routing teams to improve how transport data is represented
- Work on sophisticated challenges such as:
- Monitoring transport data quality and discovering new ways to improve it
- Finding novel ways to link disparate data from timetables, vehicle monitoring systems, users, and news sources
- Building tools that manage local incidents and communicate with users about transport issues
- Improve our processes for building, shipping and monitoring transport data
- Fun projects we recently took on
- Travelled to the Paris suburbs to integrate an obscure realtime API
- Deployed a real time monitoring system to help commuters in Hong Kong navigate complex route diversions
- Built a model railway in SQL to better understand New York Subway timetables
We are currently looking for experienced / senior engineers to join the team to help us architect and build systems at scale. At least 4 years of professional experience within a similar setting is a must.
Attention to detail and experience wrangling data (especially transport data) is a plus.
- Tech: main language Python 3; For some projects we use Go, Java, C++
- Tooling: GitHub, AWS, SQL, Linux
- Best practices: code reviews, tests, CI
We're a genuinely hybrid company. Our employees have the choice of working from our headquarters on the south bank of the Thames in London, or from home - or a bit of both! We are open to remote work outside of the UK within +- 3 hours of London.
- Competitive pay & meaningful equity / stock options
- 25 days' annual leave plus bank holidays
- Generous Family Leave policies for if/when you start a family
- Free dinner in the office every day
- Services to support your mental wellbeing
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension scheme (we pay in, you pay in)
- Drinks and social events throughout the year
- Citymapper swag
We believe that diverse teams are the best teams and we're proud to be an equal opportunities employer. We welcome and will consider all applications regardless of age, disability, gender re-assignment, marriage, pregnancy, maternity, race or nationality, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation (and any other status protected by applicable law).
Company name: Citymapper
Remote job title: Senior Software Engineer Transport Data
Job tags: pre-revenue, mapping, mobile, mobility, travel & leisure