Senior Software Engineer, School & District Tools, Education
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
Remote job description
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student - not just a lucky few - can get an education that's tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. An example of our work is our partnership with Summit Learning -- a personalized approach to education developed by Summit Public Schools in partnership with learning scientists, researchers, and academics. With Summit Learning, students gain the skills, knowledge and habits to succeed in college and enter adulthood with a clear vision for achieving purpose and wellbeing in life. The Summit Learning Program packages together technology and data, curricula, professional development and ongoing support.
Our education engineering teams are responsible for improving how:
- Teachers facilitate personalized projects where students can build and demonstrate cognitive skills.
- Students work through content and assessments at their own pace.
- Teachers individualize instruction using real-time data.
- Students work with teacher mentors to develop a growth approach, emotional intelligence, and self-directed learning skills.
- School leaders, district leaders, and other staff support implementation and teachers' professional development
The School and District Tools team is looking for a senior full-stack software engineer to build scalable, adaptable server and client-side code to improve the lives of school leaders and district leaders.
- Build impactful products to enable school leaders and district leaders to make data driven decisions to improve their schools.
- Work with a multi-functional team to develop, iterate on, and maintain core features.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to other engineers
- Support Education team-wide initiatives such as accessibility, performance, and reliability
- 5+ years of relevant coding experience with full-stack web development
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or similar web frameworks
- Experience with a scripting language such as Ruby or Python
- Experience with relational databases such as PostgreSQL and MySQL
- Consistent track record to independently define project requirements and ship high-quality products
- Experience with React and/or Airflow a plus
CZI believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and save lives. It aligns to our mission and work to cure, manage, and prevent disease. Proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination will be required for all applicants and employees to come onsite to a CZI facility. CZI will consider exceptions to this policy for medical or religious reasons on an individualized basis.Summary
Company name: Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
Remote job title: Senior Software Engineer, School & District Tools, Education at Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (Redwood City, CA) (allows remote)
Job tags: react, ruby on rails, python, mysqli