Senior Software Engineer, Big Data
Remote job description
Headquartered in beautiful Santa Barbara, HG Insights is the global leader in technology intelligence. HG Insights uses advanced data science methodologies to help the world's largest technology firms and the fastest growing companies accelerate their sales, marketing, and strategy efforts.
We offer a competitive salary, growth potential, and a casual yet professional environment. Get your sweat on at one of our fitness classes or go for a run along the beach which is two blocks away. You can find employees riding bikes to lunch in the funk zone or hanging out in one of our collaboration spaces. We are passionate about our jobs with a get-it-done attitude, yet we don't take ourselves too seriously. While we work very hard, we also enjoy all that the Santa Barbara coast has to offer.
What You'll Do:
- You will work on our Big Data Insights Platform which is responsible for processing billions of unstructured documents, and a large data lake to extract/syndicate our intelligence for customer consumption.
- You will be working on solving hard data problems using cutting edge technologies.
- What You'll Be Responsible For:
- You will collaborate with Product Development Teams to build the most effective solutions
- You will develop features in our databases, backend apps, front end UI, and Data as a Service (DAAS) product
- You will help architect and design large scale enterprise big-data systems
- You will work on ideas from different team members as well as your own
- Fix bugs rapidly
- Attend daily stand-up meetings, planning sessions, encourage others, and collaborate at a rapid pace
What You'll Need:
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- 5+ years of designing and programming in a work setting
- Proficient in Java or Scala (understand and have real-world experience with design patterns)
- Experience as a technical lead and mentor for other engineers
- Understand pragmatic agile development practices
- MySQL, ElasticSearch, Hadoop/Spark, or similar
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, RDS, EMR, ELB etc.)
- Experience with web services using REST
- Comfortable working with CI/CD and automation environments such as Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform or similar
- Proven track record of successful project delivery
- Actual coding experience in large distributed environments with multiple endpoints and complex interactions
- Basic DevOps skills (automate everything, infrastructure as code)
- Loves startup culture where everyone's contributions are felt and loved.
- Self-learner, hacker, technology advocate who can work on anything
- Amazing engineering skills, you're on your way to being one of the best engineers you know
- You can architect, design, code, test, and mentor others
- Experience working with interesting and successful projects
- Thrive in a fast growing environment
- Excellent written and spoken English communication
Due to Covid-19, We've transitioned to a work-from-home model and we're continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. Normally, you'll be working in Santa Barbara two blocks from the beach!
HG Insights Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please note that HG Insights does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of HG InsightsSummary
Company: HG Insights
Job title: Senior Software Engineer, Big Data at HG Insights (Los Angeles, CA) (allows remote)
Job tags: hadoop, apache, scala, mysql, aws