Senior Software Engineer
Remote job description
Come join us building the world's best audio and video app, where millions of people make Discord their place to talk and hang out with their friends every day. Our small, nimble, messaging team is passionate about developing delightful and innovative features in the heart of our apps. We are working to build the future of communication.
We are trying to achieve a lot, but we are in a marathon, not a sprint, so good work/life balance is just as important as working with smart, experienced people (like you!?). Our business is growing very quickly, and our team is growing quickly to support it. Join our team, and you can help us build the next generation of Discord.
To learn more about Discord Engineering, take a look at our engineering blog!
What you'll be doing
- R&D innovative AV technologies across our iOS, Android, Web apps. We work across the stack, but it's ok if you don't know all of our technology on day one!
- Strive to start small and continuously iterate towards a complete solution.
- Propose and champion improvements to the product, engineering, and process.
- Work on meaningful projects that allow for users to hangout seamless and fun across all modes of communications
- Work with designers and product managers to create delightful interfaces and experiences.
- Fearlessly dive into the unknown alongside intelligent engineers challenging themselves and people around you.
Things we look for
- Full-stack experience. We're a multi-platform team, so it's important to have a solid understanding of the development frameworks and fundamentals of one or more of our platforms: web (React, TypeScript), Android (React Native, Kotlin), iOS (React Native, Objective-C, Swift), and backend (Python and some Elixir). Big plus familiar with C++, Rust and WebRTC.
- 5+ years of experience building and shipping product features. Especially features for AV technologies at large scale or in real-time applications.
- A growth mindset. You view mistakes as learning opportunities and build upon your successes. You challenge yourself and those around you to continuously improve
- A focus on impact. You have a sharp eye for what changes can bring a product from good to great. You collaborate closely with product managers, designers, analysts, and other engineers to define great solutions to business problems
- A sense of ownership. You believe in solving a problem completely rather than simply shipping a solution. You operate autonomously and follow through on your commitments.
- New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $186,000 year + equity and benefits.
- Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law.
- Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $148,800 year + equity and benefits.
- Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests - from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We're working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It's a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Company name: Discord
Remote job title: Senior Software Engineer