Senior Ruby Engineer
Remote job description
SENIOR RUBY ENGINEER
FULLY REMOTE, US ONLY
In your role as a senior software engineer you will be an expert in modern day application development. You will have familiarity with the practices of high-performing engineering organizations such as Git-Flow, pull requests, unit testing, cloud architecture & design, and SCRUM. You will be an excellent hands-on contributor and you'll be a mentor for other software engineers.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Build and maintain powerful APIs that will be used by agents to quote and bind policies for small business owners.
- Write clean, well-tested code and automated unit tests using Ruby / Ruby on Rails.
- Participate in agile ceremonies such as iteration planning, retrospective, and daily standups.
- Work with product managers, designers, site-reliability engineers, and customers to build powerful, impactful products.
- Participate in the full lifecycle of the software development life cycle from ideation to delivery.
- Create more senior engineers by mentoring other engineers in areas such as unit testing, continuous integration, DRY/SOLID principles, and SDLC.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 5+ years of professional experience with at least 3 years of Ruby on Rails
- Previous working experience in high-growth technology companies and/or startups
- Understanding of scrum, unit testing, continuous integration, continuous delivery, and DevOps
- Knowledge of microservice architectures and RESTful APIs, especially in Ruby on Rails
- Previous work experience in insurance and/or experience with policy rating very desirable.
- Full-stack expertise in multiple tiers of modern web applications (e.g. front end, back end, infrastructure, etc.)
- Bonus points for open source contributions and/or speaking experience
We offer competitive wages and annual bonus opportunities! Benefits include:
Medical, Dental, and Vision
Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, and Life Insurance
401K with company match
Employee Assistance Program
Remote Culture. Here at Bold Penguin our remote employees are top of mind, and we have created an inclusive, engaging remote environment.
Choose-your-own gear. Whether you prefer Mac, PC, or Linux, one screen or three, we'll set you up for success.
Stay connected to the Glacier. We slack. A lot. We also like to video conference regularly. We even have all- hands "Waddles" held Tuesday - Friday 12:00PM EST.
Penguin bling. Like swag themed after a certain antarctic bird? Just. You. Wait.
Bold Penguin believes in inclusion. That's why we're proud to be an equal opportunity employer that considers all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, beak size, or inability to fly.
To learn more about our results-focused culture and employee-focused perks, read more on our careers page.
Company name: BOLD PENGUIN
Remote job title: Senior Ruby Engineer- Fully Remote US Only at Bold Penguin (allows remote)
Job tags: ruby on rails, react, angularjs