Senior Engineering Manager Production Engineering
Kong creates software and managed services that connect APIs and microservices natively across and within clouds, Kubernetes, data centers and more using intelligent automation. Built on an open source core, Kong's service connectivity platform enables digital innovation by allowing organizations to reliably and securely manage the full lifecycle of APIs and services for modern architectures, including microservices, serverless and service mesh. By providing developer teams with unprecedented architectural freedom, Kong accelerates innovation cycles, increases productivity, and seamlessly bridges legacy and modern systems and applications. For more information about Kong, please visit konghq.com or follow @thekonginc on Twitter.
Follow us on LinkedIn for more "Life at Kong" nuggets! 2020 Kong Summit Highlight Video
About the role:
We are looking for a senior engineering leader who will hire, mentor, and organize engineering teams in order to ensure product features are delivered frequently and predictably to production. The right candidate will have experience managing teams in a high-availability, rapidly-changing SaaS environment and values innovation, collaboration, diversity, and mentorship. You will not only mentor your own teams, but set a good example for the whole department regarding quality, uptime and SDLC.
What you'll be doing
- Hire, mentor, and develop site reliability engineering and developer enablement teams that value collaboration and innovation
- Partner with the rest of the product engineering organization to build and deliver our SaaS-based Konnect platform to a fast growing customer base
- Monitor and manage production change and incident response to ensure that metrics like uptime and availability continue to meet or exceed our service level objectives
- Manage through uncertainty and work closely with product management to deliver novel software solutions to customer problems
- Organize and manage your teams to fit constructively into the org as a whole and help the company succeed. Give constructive feedback to engineers, conduct 1:1's, address interpersonal issues and conduct reviews
- Hire within the US, UK, Canada, and Internationally to build a diverse team
- And any additional tasks required by manager
What you'll bring
- A passion for building a rock solid engineering teams that enable engineers to do their best work
- Demonstrated experience leading engineering teams responsible for maintaining high standards of service for high-volume and high-traffic web services
- Phenomenal communication skills for working with cross-functional teams and building strong relationships with peers and leadership
- Experience managing remote teams
- Proven customer relationship skills
- On-premise, cloud and hybrid product background
- Experience working on an infrastructure product line
- What is a Konger? (see our company values below…)
We are a group of makers, thinkers, and doers focused on helping today's developers build tomorrow's technology. Our teams work on the bleeding edge of API innovation to provide our users with a central nervous system for data and services.
We put design at the heart of everything we do, and we're relentlessly focused on creating beautiful experiences for our customers. That's why technology companies, major banks, e-commerce innovators, and government agencies put Kong in front of their most important web applications.
We believe in the power of Open Source and everything it stands for. That's why developers around the world enthusiastically contribute on top of our open-source platform.
We are passionate about solving challenges that will fundamentally shape the future of technology, and we're looking for the right people to join us on our mission. If you believe in taking ownership of your work, making an impact, and having fun along the way, we would love to talk to you.
Kong Core Values:
Global - We work together from anywhere to achieve our common goals. Our differences make us stronger. We seek to understand different points of view and their implications on work.
Real - We are genuine, principled and confident without an attitude. We seek to understand our own strengths and vulnerabilities. We understand the effect of external factors on ourselves and we manage our own emotions and understand the effect they have on other people.
Unstoppable - We are biased towards action and decision, we persevere and always go the extra mile. We understand how to prioritize and work with urgency and focus. We are self-motivated and exhibit a high personal drive.
Champion - We listen and speak up for customers, community, partners and each other. We have an ability to provide feedback that is specific, constructive and fact-based. We listen, are able to receive feedback without taking it personally and we look at our own performance in order to improve.
Explorer - We challenge the status quo by discovering, innovating, failing fast and learning. We are self-directing and use creativity when solving problems that may be complex and ambiguous. We are adaptable, able to navigate and solve problems, especially in times of rapid change and high-ambiguity.
Senior Engineering Manager - Production Engineering
Tags: api, dev ops / tech ops, infrastructure, open-source, saas, software