Senior Backend Software Engineer Kafka Streaming, Java/Scala
Remote job description
Lookout is an integrated endpoint-to-cloud cybersecurity company. Our mission is to secure and empower our digital future in a privacy-focused world where mobility and cloud are essential to all we do for work and play. With 100 million mobile sensors fueling a dataset of virtually all the mobile code in the world, the Lookout Security Cloud can identify connections that would otherwise go unseen -- predicting and stopping mobile attacks before they do harm. We enable consumers and employees to protect their data, and to securely stay connected without violating their privacy and trust. Lookout is trusted by millions of consumers, the largest enterprises and government agencies, and partners such as AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone, Microsoft, Google, and Apple. Headquartered in San Francisco, Lookout has offices in Amsterdam, Boston, London, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto and Washington, D.C.
We are looking for an innovative, passionate and highly technical software engineer to join Lookout's Security Platform Organization. You'll be a key part of a dynamic team that builds out and maintains Lookout's Ingestion and Query Platform.
Do you have strong programing skills with Java or Scala? Do you have experience with streaming running on Kafka? Then you could be Lookout's Sr. Backend Software Engineer with ability to work remotely.
What you'll do:
- You will be part of a dynamic and technically diverse group of engineers, where you will get to contribute, influence, learn and grow top notch technical skill sets, while building out a scalable and high volume Ingestion and Query Platform.
- You will work on designing/implementing a variety of low latency real-time streaming services, running on a Kafka backbone.
- Operationally own, maintain and tune large scale data stores (like Elasticsearch, Scylla etc).
- Quality is the forefront of all we do, so you will assist with improving all forms of automated testing (unit, integration, functional etc).
- Help troubleshoot, analyze and root cause issues in the platform.
- We believe in, and practice, end to end service ownership, so you will fully participate in the ownership of your services and components, including on-call duties.
- You will work on microservices built with Ruby, Java and Scala, on the AWS Cloud.
What we are looking for:
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field/degree, with 8+ years of work experience.
- Strong professional programming experience with Object Oriented or Functional programming languages (Java, Scala, etc).
- Strong grasp of fundamentals and algorithms.
- We believe in a culture of transparency and teamwork and we welcome like minded contributors.
- A fun and positive attitude!
- Streaming experience with Apache Kafka, Apache Storm, Apache Flink.
- DevOps/SecOps along with experience tuning and maintaining large scale data stores like Elasticsearch, Scylla etc.
- Experience with functional programming using Scala.
- Experience with serverless architectures on AWS, like AWS Lambda.
- Experience/expertise with the following stores - DynamoDB, Redis, Aurora, Elasticsearch.
- Experience with implementing services at scale.
- Experience with Kubernetes, container technology (Docker, ECS, EKS).
Company name: Lookout
Remote job title: Senior Backend Software Engineer Kafka Streaming, Java/Scala
Job tags: saas / subscription, freemium, licensing, communications, enterprise, mobile, security, software