Senior Backend Engineer Finance & Treasury Tribe
Remote job description
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we're on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We've got 13 million customers across the globe and we're growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
- So, we're building a new one.
And, we need a Senior Backend Engineer to join our mission and help us build a global platform that's scalable, reliable and secure. We're working on lots of algorithmical challenges, and you'll dive right into projects on reconciliation, integrations, authorisations and authentications.
The team you'll be working with: Finance & Treasury
Treasury & Finance works with the core financial data of the company.
Treasury is a team with many time critical customer product supporting operational duties:
- - Making sure the risk and cost of offering all our currencies to customers are minimal
- - Making sure we have the right amount in the right account at the right time to pay customers
- - Making sure customer funds are managed in a compliant, safe and efficient way
The Finance team provides systems to run processes in an efficient, scalable and controlled manner to ensure timely and accurate financial reporting. It has a bigger focus on historical completeness and correctness of provided data and less on operational matters.
While the goals of these two teams are different, it is essential that they make their operational decisions on a well-aligned view of what is happening in the Wise business at any point in time from a financial perspective (both technically and process-wise) and contribute to making the business financially sustainable.
What does it take?:
- A strong product mindset and passion for user experience, you prioritise work with the customers in mind and make data-driven decisions to fix customer pain-points
- Great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex, technical concepts to non-technical audience
- Experience working with relational and non-relational databases, query optimisation and designing schemas
- You enjoy writing testable code and believe in Test Driven Development
- You believe in and follow best coding practices, code reviews and open feedback
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines and Distributed and Concurrent Systems
- Hands on knowledge of system integration patterns
- As a plus: you have solid Java 8 plus knowledge, experience with Spring framework and database abstraction layers like Hibernate
- ...but don't worry we don't expect you to know everything!
What does success look like?
- You'll have onboarded and found your place through understanding your team and tribe vision and how you can contribute
- You'll understand how our values can help you guide your work
- You'll understand the reasons behind problematic payments and customer difficulties and how to go about solving them
- You'll be raising the automation level to enable scaling of the product
- Understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You'll help us scale-up and build a world class money transfer product by finding solutions to our technical challenges and opportunities
What you get back:
- The autonomy to solve problems your way
- The freedom to have real impact
- Loads of development opportunities
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- Find out more about our benefits in our London office.
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work - a practical guide
- Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- Our Engineering career map
- ...or check out our Engineering blog.
- We're people without borders - without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you're passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you'll fit right in.
- Also, qualifications aren't that important to us. If you've got great experience, and you're great at articulating your thinking, we'd like to hear from you.
- And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we'd especially love to hear from you if you're from an under-represented demographic.
Company name: Wise
Remote job title: Senior Backend Engineer Finance & Treasury Tribe
Job tags: marketplace, fintech, forex, sharing economy