Senior Backend Engineer
Remote job description
Greg is changing the way humans live alongside plants. We believe that everyone should understand how plants work and be able to participate in solutions to the existential challenges our planet is facing, from food system insecurity to collapsing ecosystems.
We've started by creating a delightful mobile app that helps people grow thriving plants. Our community has grown from 100 beta users in August 2020 to over 50,000 active users today. Plants have been watered with Greg over 1M times, and partners like The Sill and over 100 other retailers have started sharing Greg to help their customers care for newly-purchased plants.
About the Role:
As a founding member of our engineering team, you'll be directly responsible for scaling our app to millions of users and creating technology that changes the way humans care for plants. You'll own major architectural decisions, drive feature development, and nurture our team culture.
What sets us apart:
- We're inventors and artists creating a product and brand that has the potential to make a difference in billions of lives.
- We distribute ownership of the company equally because each teammate is crucial
- Our team has shipped wildly successful consumer mobile apps at a global scale before
- Our team combines hard science with product design, engineering, and story-telling
- Our app has substantial traction, massive growth potential, and a thriving community
- We're a Public Benefit Company with a published charter and an audacious mission
- We're fully remote, and we come together for team retreats in nature
- You have a strong desire to use your skills to make a difference in the world
- You take pride in your craft and creating a reliable experience for users
- You've been writing backend APIs for 4-7+ years
- You strive to write clean, maintainable code
- You like working with people from diverse backgrounds with different expertise
- You're interested learning more about science
- You've tried growing plants (successfully or not )
- You've scaled services on AWS
- You're familiar with Django and/or PostgreSQL
- You've set up observability & monitoring tools
- You automate wherever possible
Our tech stack:
- APIs written in Python built on top of Django
- Data storage in PostgreSQL
- Hosted on AWS
Gregarious is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We go further than most teams by requiring a diverse makeup from our board of directors and cap table through to our team and community. When you believe that humankind, plantkind, and all living beings are kin, then it becomes clear that we're all in this together.Summary
Job title: Senior Backend Engineer
Job tags: entertainment