Senior Back-End Developer
Remote job description
The Catawiki Story
A piece of the moon, a complete dinosaur skeleton, the Pope's hat, the world's smallest book - at Catawiki, we come across exceptional objects such as these every single day. As Europe's fastest growing online auction platform, our mission is to make special objects available to everyone.
In fact, 10 million users are buying and selling on Catawiki every month. This means we are continually growing and always on the lookout for new talent.
Born and raised in The Netherlands, we started in 2008 as a platform where collectors could manage their collections online. Yet, times change, ideas evolve, and in 2011 we hosted our first online auction and we haven't looked back since! We've now grown to 650+ Catawikians working across 7 International offices and are proud to have maintained our start-up mentality.
How we work
As the biggest marketplace for special items, Catawiki operates in a domain which brings plenty of unusual challenges and opportunities. You will be developing, testing and scaling our microservices, mostly written in Ruby, to handle the high volume of requests served by the platform every single day. We do this by using Infrastructure as Code principles, collaborative peer-reviews, Continuous Delivery, A/B testing every assumption and using the observability and monitoring tools already in place. We make mistakes and learn valuable lessons from them. Our focus is to be able to recover and iterate quickly.
What you'll doHere at Catawiki, you will make an impact by improving and delivering product innovations for the Catawiki platform. Along with other members of the Development team, you will build scalable microservices while measuring and monitoring system performance. In addition, you will use experimentation, backed by data analysis, to add product features and deliver the best user experience on the platform.
What you'll bring
We look for engineers who are motivated to learn new things, ship new features, and pursue new and interesting challenges. Our stack is mainly focused around Ruby and some Golang, however, if you're passionate about learning new things then prior experience with Ruby or Go is not essential. Next to this:
- You have experience in designing, implementing and deploying backend services with a focus on high availability, low latency, and consistency.
- You have proven experience of collaborating closely with other engineers to become a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional team.
- You understand the value that you can add to the business, the product and the impact of your work on customers.
Catawiki is committed to building a diverse company and diverse teams. That includes everyone, no matter your age, ability, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. We welcome applications from underserved and underrepresented communities. If you've got a story to tell, come and join us.
Working and hiring remotely
As we navigate through the Covid19 pandemic together, we want to reassure you that keeping candidates and our employees safe is of paramount importance to us. That's why the entire recruitment process will take place remotely, using phone and video calls. For successful applicants who end up being hired, we always ensure a safe, engaging, and (for the time being) remote onboarding experience. When it is safe to do so, Catawiki will be implementing a hybrid work policy where employees based in the Netherlands will work from the office once per week and from home for the rest. Outside of The Netherlands, we are able to employ people to work remotely in France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Belgium.
Here's what we can offer you
This is your chance to become part of a fast but sustainable growing tech company! You'll be part of an enthusiastic, highly motivated team of 650+ international Catawikians; you'll have big responsibilities and can really create something. Additionally you can expect:
- An attractive Stock Option package
- A diverse and international team with over 50 different nationalities.
- Catawiki provides you with a membership to the O'Reilly learning platform.
- As part of Catawiki's goal to create a healthy and happy culture, we've partnered with Headspace, a global leader in mindfulness and meditation! We provide our employees with a free one-year subscription for Headspace.
- Work from home office set-up to make sure you have all you need in an ergonomically-friendly manner.
- A bike scheme for employees that helps realise a tax advantage which makes a bike up to 35% cheaper than buying!
- Our entrepreneurial environment encourages everyone to take initiative and experiment with new ideas.
- You'll actively contribute to the growth of the Catawiki platform.
- For people living outside of NL we offer a great relocation package for you and your family to The Netherlands (or remote work options if you live in France, Germany, Spain, Italy or Belgium)
- The fun part! Our Activity Committee plans everything from 'CataFooty' to International Food Festivals, Friday Drinks, Board Game Nights, Pub Quizzes and Boot Camps!
And there's more! Paid holidays, Holiday Allowance, a discount on health insurance and a fantastic pension plan paid for by Catawiki.
Job title: Senior Back-End Developer
Job tags: Ruby, Go