Remote Senior Backend Software Engineer
Remote job description
Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe - and engineers play a vital role in building that future. Here are just some of the stories from the engineering teams who build and scale Shopify.
What does Backend Development mean at Shopify?
Backend Engineers here are passionate about solving tough problems with performant code work on teams that ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We're talking millions of online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of entrepreneurs will see your work within seconds - a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility. Shopify is the largest Ruby on Rails application in the world and we're a big part of the Rails community. We're constantly improving our codebase to make it even better.
What you'll do as a Senior Backend Software Engineer at Shopify:
- Collaborating with other designers and engineers
- Creating beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Using test-driven development to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Contributing back to the open source community
Experience and skills that are important for success in this role:
- Experience using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) some of our most-used languages - Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python, React or React Native, Golang, Kubernetes - is an asset, but not required. Don't have experience with many of them? No problem - deep experience with any object-oriented language and willingness to learn our tech stack goes a long way. (Also: Check out our Stackshare)
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Bonus Points: You've mentored teammates on new ways to deepen their technical craft
As there are multiple positions, this posting will remain live until all positions have been filled. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us within 2 weeks of application.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page.PandoLogic. Keywords: Senior Software Engineer, Location: Los Angeles, CA - 90040
Company name: Shopify
Remote job title: Remote Senior Backend Software Engineer