Principal Frontend Engineer
Remote job description
Motorway is the UK's fastest-growing used car marketplace - our online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal.
Founded in 2017, our award-winning, technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 250 across 4 locations.
Motorway is now valued at over $1 billion and is backed by some of the world's leading technology investors, having raised ?143 million in Series C funding.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth and help change an industry for the better
About the role
Are you a technology leader and want to work for a technology-led company that is transforming an industry? Do you enjoy working in a flexible, agile environment, with core values of transparency, trust and continuous improvement, where people are first and core to how we build software?
At Motorway, individuals and teams are given the freedom and remit to set themselves up for success.
We're looking for an experienced Principal Front Engineer to join our team and be responsible for building new and innovative products. Our Principal Engineers sit across multiple squads and provide technical leadership as an individual contributor. At Motorway we firmly believe that the Individual Contributor career track is equal to the Management track, and this role is as senior as our Engineering Managers.
Our Engineering department is going through a rapid phase of growth, and this is a great opportunity where you can shape the growing culture. Are you focussed on getting things done and putting your colleagues first? We truly live our core values of drive to win, accountability, bravery and humility.
You'll be reporting directly to the Director of Engineering at Motorway.
What you'll do
- Collaborate across product and Engineering squads to provide technical direction, architectural input and tool improvement across product development roadmaps. A passion for finding viable and innovative solutions to problems.
- A Code Guardian - overall responsible for the technical quality of what Engineers produce
- Help evolve development standards and practises
- Be at the forefront of significant technology initiatives from inception, R&D and to successful deployment.
- Think and explore what the Motorway architecture should look 6, 12 and 24 months in the future to support the business
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Able to approach challenges, investigate and understand implementation details of components and features across the technology stacks.
- Spend at least 50% of your time writing features, while providing technical leadership and mentoring with the rest of your time
- An ability to challenge colleagues in doing what's right for the business
- Review Pull Requests from other developers
- To learn from, collaborate and mentor other Frontend Engineers.
- Lead and coached Engineers to be better every day - Kaizen! Continuous Improvement
Technologies we use in production
- Service Worker API
- Mock Service Worker
- IndexedDB (via Dexie.js)
- ES2020 features - Nullish Coalescing, Optional Chaining, Promise.allSettled, globalThis etc.
- ResizeObserver, Intersection Observer, Visual Viewport, Web Animations among others.
- Currently experimenting with WebXR.
- A solid understanding of core web/browser concepts and cross-browser compatibility pitfalls and how to mitigate them
- Professional experience with Webpack and bundlers.
- Comfortable with CSS including the latest features.
- Aware of and willing to experiment with new technologies
- Being pragmatic, realising that quality, time to ship, and cost have to be balanced.
- View team success as your number one goal!
- A competitive salary.
- Significant stock options - we succeed and fail together as a team - we want you to be included in our success
- 500 annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons.
- BUPA health insurance.
- Pension scheme.
- Motorway car leasing scheme - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- Hybrid working with the option to work from home for a month per year.
- Top spec M1 MacBook Pro and accessories.
- Regular social events.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- The chance to join a rapidly growing, revenue-generating startup and build products that will change an industry.
- The chance to work with the latest and greatest technologies, free from legacy systems and red tape.
- If you're into cars, opportunities to work with vehicle data and learn about the automotive industry. We also have some fun, car-related activities (as well as non-car fun too!)
Equal Opportunities Statement:
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.
Company name: Motorway
Remote job title: Principal Frontend Engineer
Job tags: marketplace