Remote job description
We are looking for a Platform Engineer
to join our expanding product development team, and play an integral role in the development of our world-leading managed Kubernetes offering. You will build and develop the platform, using cutting-edge technologies including Kubernetes Operators and Cluster API.
Giant Swarm is a fast-growing open-source infrastructure management platform used by modern enterprises. Our vision is to empower developers around the world to ship great products.
- You will be responsible for architecting and building distributed systems, as part of our managed Kubernetes offering.
- You will use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools from across the open-source community, including Kubernetes, Prometheus, and Flatcar Linux.
- You take part in oncall, as part of our 'you build it, you run it' philosophy. This includes improving operations, such as by adding metrics, or building dashboards.
- You have experience with Go and at least one other programming language, and a strong architectural background.
- You have worked extensively with Kubernetes.
- You are an experienced Linux user.
- You are used to deploying to production multiple times a day, and love to automate all the things.
- You are comfortable building and working with distributed systems - you prefer to build your applications as multiple services instead of a single monolith.
- We - and our customers - are currently distributed (mostly) around Europe. Your main timezone should be UTC +/- 2.
- We are very active in the Cloud Native / Kubernetes space. If you are as well - or just love giving talks - that will be a perfect addition.
About UsEvery new team member changes the team. We love to learn from each other and people who know things we don't are highly welcome. And even though we are almost 70 people we aim at putting the individual first when taking decisions, establishing processes, etc. You'll find that from day one, your work will make a difference and will be highly valued. There are no meaningless tasks and you'll soon realize that the company is full of people who are passionate about their jobs. Our strong culture of failure helps us stay up to date and try new things. Even though we've been fully remote since 2014, we still like to meet in person twice a year at our onsites (make sure you check out our Instagram ;) ) as well as at conferences and events (as soon as they start again). Continuous learning is important to us - we foster this through bi-yearly personal development talks, a budget for training/certifications/coaching as well as regular feedback talks. Becoming part of Giant Swarm means that, by extension, you also become part of the Cloud Native community. We actively contribute to upstream projects and our quarterly hackathons will give you space to work on out-of-the-box projects. Occasionally, when we, as a team, want to fully focus on one project, we scratch all meetings and routines for a certain time to better focus during our hive-sprints.
- We don't count holiday (our team members take between 25-35 days off on average)
- Choose your own hard- and software
- As a company that has almost, if not more, kids than employees, family-friendliness is crucial to us and paid parental leave is a no-brainer.
- Healthcare compensation
- Fixed monthly budget for buying cat pictures or your mobile phone contract/ co-working space if you are boring ;)
- We aim to be fully transparent (finance, salaries, communication, etc.)
We failed in exactly describing our way to approach important company elements that can be described with 'buzzwords' such as agile mindset, cross-functional teams, self-organization, value of the individual or trust & teamwork. However, we truly care about them, we live them and we constantly iterate on them. Some snippets about how we do this are posted in our blog but by far not all of them.
Pro tip: Ask whenever something is unclear!Summary
Company: Giant Swarm
Job title: Platform Engineer (100% remote)
Job tags: Kubernetes, Golang, Cloud Native