Head of Engineering
Remote job description
About Tomorrow's Education
Tomorrow's Education is an early-stage Edtech startup based in Berlin founded by serial entrepreneurs, Christian Rebernik and Dr. Thomas Funke. Our vision is to redesign education and educate and empower the leaders to tackle the greatest challenges of tomorrow together.
We believe that one of the biggest challenges in education is the way of teaching itself. Therefore we are challenging the old teacher-oriented approach of the traditional universities, by shifting to a student-centric approach.
We want to provide our students with a unique opportunity to gain the relevant skills and mindset and then leverage their impact through a global network.
At Tomorrow's Education, we leverage science and technology for effective learning and foster a global community for continuous growth and impact. With us, students learn by applying their knowledge to real-life challenges and interacting with world-class educators, mentors, and partners from all around the world.
About the position:
As the Head of Engineering team, your goal is to create and build a university as a service platform to empower and educate the students. You build and lead a team to help you achieve this. You'll be working alongside the founders closely together and being responsible for the following tasks:
- Create a cohesive strong engineering team. For this build, manage, and develop world-class engineers including hiring and guide and mentor engineers and peers within and outside of the team.
- Be a hands-on builder leading by example. Pragmatic in building and shipping a solution fast, while balancing the effort to make it reusable for the future.
- Create and operate a data strategy & architecture to fuel learning, modeling, and enabling future opportunities.
- Ensure high-quality code and API for openness and collaboration with the global community.
- Work with legal partners to ensure systems and processes are documented and compliant with regulatory frameworks
You should have knowledge and experience in:
- You have several years of professional experience in the above-mentioned areas of responsibility in a startup environment, including at least 1 year of management experience;
- Excellent understanding of and hands-on with various Backend and Frontend technologies;
- Deep understanding of the technologies required for an end-to-end system (Covering web, native apps, data architecture, and analysis);
- You have proven experience in managing, developing, and scaling engineering teams;
- You have good communication skills with fluency in English and German;
- Typescript language in general;
- Concept of microservices, working and managing those services;
- Concept and differentiation of SQL and No-SQL;
You will need to have the skills & abilities in:
- Developing backend services primarily in typescript;
- Managing scripted deployments using CDK or terraform;
- Developing services in both SQL and No-SQL data persistence;
- Thinking analytically and an above-average comprehension;
- Working under time pressure & independently;
- Driving to push projects ahead independently;
- Simplifying and communicate on all level;
- Ability to work across departments;
For us it is also very important to make sure that you:
- Have a high degree of independence, initiative, proactivity, enthusiasm, and drive for delivering results.
- Have a high energy level, eager to learn, technically minded, data driven and you enjoy working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Are passionate for Sustainability, Entrepreneurship & Technology;
- Have a high level of Integrity, Curiosity & Growth;
- Are eager to learn, diligent to execute;
What can we offer you?
- Work wherever you are and whenever you want. Our flexible Work Environment will give you the freedom to work from everywhere and whenever you want. (in alignment with your team);
- Be part of the Tomorrow's Community: Every teammate can study for free at Tomorrow's Education (excl. partner fees if applicable).
- Travel the world with us: Twice per year, the whole team meets for a 1-week workation at a different place around the globe.
Do you care about education and impact? Grow with us and shape the education space!
At Tomorrow's Education, we believe in the power of you and your own merit much more than we believe in degrees! Sounds weird for an education provider? That's Tomorrow's Education!Summary
Company name: Tomorrow's Education
Remote job title: Head of Engineering in German startup (m/f/d), - 40h/week at Tomorrow's Education (allows remote)
Job tags: sql, web services