Remote job description
Is building beautiful, functional frontend web applications and WordPress themes a passion of yours? Do you want to push the web forward, and better yourself? We are also passionate about the web here at WebDevStudios, so let's chat.
Qualities that matter to our team
- A positive attitude, a good work ethic, and enjoy helping others.
- Not afraid to ask for help, teachable, a quick study, and have the ability to be flexible when "stuff happens."
- Understand deadlines and can complete a variety of tasks throughout the week.
- Willing to participate in company paid training courses to further their skills.
- Excited about contributing back to open-source technologies.
- Comfortable communicating via Slack and participating in video calls with their team while working remotely.
Your primary responsibility will be developing and modifying the presentation layer of WordPress themes and web applications according to specifications outlined by the client and defined by a Lead Engineer during a Discovery Phase.
You'll be working as part of a team, alongside Backend Engineers, Project Leads, Project Managers, and other partners during the entire development lifecycle of a project, as well as a supporting that project after it ships.
Learn more about what it's like to be part of the gang at WebDevStudios.
Here are some technologies you'll be working with:
- PHP 7
Your primary responsibilities
- Develop responsive, accessible, high-quality WordPress themes and web applications using modern workflows and tools, while following WDS Coding Standards.
- Optimize web applications and assets for maximum speed, scalability, and maintainability.
- Meet documented deadlines and complete tasks in accordance to project milestones.
- Work directly with Senior or Lead Engineers on feature validation and code reviews.
- Communicate the status of your work to Project Managers and participate in a project team and department calls.
- Keep an accurate record of your time with our time tracking software.
- Be available during normal business hours.
Minimum job requirements
- You have 2+ years of professional experience as a Frontend Engineer or similar position.
- You have a strong grasp of the WordPress theme structure, template hierarchy, template tags, custom post meta, internationalization, and escaping/sanitization of data.
- You are knowledgeable of Git (GitHub) version control and branching strategies.
- You have a strong comprehension of accessibility standards.
- Experience using the terminal/command line.
- Experience with build tools such as Gulp and/or Webpack.
- Comfortable using tools like Sketch, Figma, Photoshop, Invision.
It's not required, but experience or interest in learning the following would be nice:
- Automattic's starter theme, _s or our starter theme, wd_s
- WebDevStudios plugin generator
- WordPress plugins like:
- Advanced Custom Fields
- Gravity Forms
- Yoast SEO
- REST APIs, especially the WordPress REST API
OH, THE BENEFITS
We know the value in supporting our employees' holistic well-being, and we make sure our benefits package reflects our commitment to our team.
- 100% Paid Medical
- Paid Sick Leave
- Unlimited Flex Time
- 25 days paid time off
- Work from anywhere
- 401K + Employer Match
- Continuing Education
- Parental Leave
- Hardware Stipends
- Annual Company Retreat
Frontend Engineer at WebDevStudios () (allows remote)