Engineering Manager Voice & Visual Communication
Remote job description
At its core, Discord is about people hanging out with their friends. Our new team is focused on people using voice and video to talk. We're an innovation team to build the next version of Discord!
We are trying to achieve a lot, but we are in a marathon, not a sprint, so good work/life balance is just as important as working with smart, experienced people (like you!?). Our business is growing very quickly, and we are growing quickly to support it. This is a new team and we're looking for an experienced manager to both guide the team and help create a new organization.
We are trying to achieve a lot, but we are in a marathon, not a sprint, so good work/life balance is just as important as working with smart, experienced people (like you!?). Our business is growing very quickly, and we are growing quickly to support it. Join our team, and you can help us build the next generation of Discord.
To learn more about Discord Engineering, take a look at our engineering blog!
What you'll be doing
- Build teams of engaged engineers by hiring, coaching, and setting goals. Big things start small, you'll spin up a new team.
- Work with Product, Design, Business Development, and Marketing to determine your team's vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding partner and user needs
- Use your technical expertise to constantly improve and ensure your team achieves extraordinary results at the high technical level we set.
- Make sound first-principle decisions around resourcing, and making the rationale clear to partners and team members.
- Partner with your director on strategic planning and to improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
- You will report to the Director of Product Engineering, Friends. This is a group of teams focused on Discord's primary use case: friends hanging out online.
Things we look for
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 2+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager
- You have product sense and take pride in understanding your customers.
- You are motivated to help your team members succeed and have experience growing engineers.
- You have experience working on communication products. Ideally, you've worked on voice or video products before.
- It's not required, but bonus points if you to have experience with low-level systems like video encoding or WebRTC.
- You are a Discord user, and understand the core features and flow of Discord communications.
- Code doesn't scare you - you are still an engineer even if you don't do it all the time.
- A growth mindset. You view mistakes as learning opportunities and build upon your successes. You challenge yourself and those around you to continuously improve
- A focus on impact. You have a thoughtful eye for what changes can bring a product from good to great. You collaborate closely cross-functional partners to achieve team goals.
- New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $206,000 year + equity and benefits.
- Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law.
- Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $164,800 year + equity and benefits.
- Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests - from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We're working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It's a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Company name: Discord
Remote job title: Engineering Manager Voice & Visual Communication