Engineering Manager Creator Revenue
Remote job description
Discord is looking for a highly technical, creative, hands-on, and empathetic Engineering Manager for our Creator Revenue team. We empower creators to build belonging sustainably right here on Discord. You will be responsible for the engineers building and scaling our membership products for creators. We want to see creators succeed and grow their own businesses along with their user base. We believe that creators and communities play a vital role in our overall mission of building belonging.
We're making it easy for Creators to build sustainable communities directly on Discord, and you could play an essential part in that mission. This is a new endeavor for Discord, meaning we're blazing our own trail. We expect that this work will become an important part of Discord's journey to create belonging for everyone.
What you'll do
- Build highly-engaged teams by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and impact in your engineers.
- Work cross-functionally with other engineering teams, Customer Experience, Product, Design, and Marketing to define your team's vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding the customer and business needs.
- Use your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar and ensure your team delivers extraordinary results at the high technical level we set.
- Find the right degree of process that makes your team productive and reach greater heights.
- Mentor and guide the careers of the engineers through coaching and finding opportunities that support their technical skills and goals.
- Partner with leadership within the Online Communities org on strategic planning and continuously improve the Engineering organization while upholding our workplace philosophy.
What we look for
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer. You won't be expected to ship code as a part of this role but you will need to engage with your engineers and facilitate highly technical discussions.
- You have 2+ years of experience as a people manager.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionally. You have opinions but can discuss them generously with other people with all kinds of backgrounds.
- Motivation to help your team members grow and have experience developing engineers of multiple levels.
- Comfortability with ambiguity and are excited about working collaboratively to figure out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them.
- A strong product sense and take pride in understanding your customers.
- Kept up with the industry trends and can assess new technologies that can help us better solve problems.
- A holistic approach to problem solving. You believe in solving a problem from first principles rather than simply shipping a solution. You learn from your mistakes and work through obstacles with the rest of the team.
- New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $206,000/year + equity and benefits
- Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law.
- Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $164,800 /year + equity and benefits
- Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests - from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We're working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It's a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Company name: Discord
Remote job title: Engineering Manager Creator Revenue