Remote job description
One sunny Barcelona morning, two designers sat down to build a beautiful lead gen form for a bathroom company's showroom. They ended up reimagining the data collection experience, and realized it was one idea they wouldn't be flushing down the toilet. Today, Typeform is a team of over 300 people from more than 35 countries, with offices in Barcelona, Spain and San Francisco, US.
We're building a world where brands, businesses, and their communities can have more personal relationships with the people who matter most. To do this, we give people the tools they need to have conversational experiences at scale—because meaningful relationships start with conversations.
From online lead forms and engaging quizzes, to face-to-face encounters in the office, help us build more meaningful relationships, one conversation at a time.
About the Role
Develop, manage and empower 1 - 2 teams, with a total of 4 - 8 Engineers as direct reports. Accountable for people's growth, making decisions backed by data and ensuring timely, fast-paced, delivery whilst maintaining high-quality standards with deep domain expertise.
- Develop the skills of the team and team members through structured plans and coaching.
- Attract and retain talent while keeping people engaged.
- Be aware of how D&I metrics affect the team, colony and company productivity
- Improve predictability and pace of delivery by implementing a consistent method of continuous improvement in your team.
- Clear multi-quarter technical roadmap.
- Collaborate with other departments to remove dependencies, keeping your team unblocked and autonomous.
- Drive conversations with Product Managers to influence and negotiate roadmaps.
- Design and build solutions that are scalable, resilient and easy to maintain, reusing existing solutions where possible.
- Identify and continuously improve the metrics that are impacting the team, internal and external customers.
- Track progress and performance based on data
- Proficient within your discipline and ability to teach others
- Actively communicate technical aspects to different audiences
- Anticipate risks, technical gaps and look around the corners
- Some teams will also have the need for deep understanding of the domain.
- This role can be based anywhere in the United States - the team is based in San Francisco.
Here's what we are after:
- A strong understanding of how to drive a thriving Engineering culture, with a track record of managing at 1-2 teams of 5-8 engineers each or 1 cross-domain team of the same size.
- Broad hands-on experience with front-end and backend technologies.
- Proven track record of working with long-lived cloud-based products where effective management of legacy code was also required.
- Experience in coaching and developing teams career wise.
- Able to balance bottom-up contributions to architectural improvement with the practical needs of a rapidly scaling business.
- Able to build a justifiable resourcing plan based on product and architecture roadmaps.
- Possesses practical experience and tools to drive accountability and predictability for the business in roadmaps.
- Able to partner with Product Management to break down large, complex projects into multiple teams with rapid iterative milestones and clear outcomes, to produce a predictable product and engineering roadmaps.
- Demonstrates to proactively manage projects from start to finish.
- Able to ensure the correct software development process is in place and followed according to industry best practice and the needs of our organization.
- Has broad best-practices experience (process methodologies, disciplines, visualization techniques etc) and demonstrates to adapt as the industry evolves.
- Data driven approach to decision making.
- Have a strong business understanding of how tech companies work, ideally SaaS ones.
- Have outstanding oral and written communication and presentation skills, especially with respect to clearly communicating complex data-driven topics.
- Able to keep the Director of Engineering and executive team informed, connected and engaged with Engineering priorities and challenges.
- Able to drive sustainable growth of the Engineering organization, finding, retaining and developing top talent.
- Able to implement evaluation criteria and career planning for engineers which address a healthy mix of technical & leadership skills.
- Can represent Typeform and build trusting relationships where needed with customers, partners, vendors and the technical community.
Bonus round (not compulsory, but you'll hit the high score):
- Experience with any of Go, React, NodeJS, Python and with both relational and NoSQL Databases.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services.
- Has gone through the migration of a monolithic application to a microservice based architecture. Can effectively compare and contrast these different approaches.
- Experience with different organization and team topologies, from startups to bigger organizations. Proven track record of being an active agent in scaling an organization.
- Entrepreneurial and/or innovation driven experience.
- Have an advanced degree (Master's, Ph.D.) in Computer Science or similar.
- Interested? Hit Apply now and show us what you've got.
- Today, more than 2.5M people from all over the world use Typeform. We celebrate the diversity of our customer base, and we want our employees to reflect those differences. At Typeform, we're committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We strive to be a more equal opportunity workplace.
Job title: Engineering Manager (Remote US)
Job tags: design, freemium, marketing services, saas / subscription, software, websites