Embedded Android Engineer
Remote job description
Eliminate Crime. Build Community.
Flock Safety provides a public safety operating system that empowers private communities and law enforcement to work together to eliminate crime. We are committed to protecting human privacy and mitigating bias in policing with the development of best-in-class technology rooted in ethical design, which unites civilians and public servants in pursuit of a safer, more equitable society.
Our Safety-as-a-Service approach includes affordable devices powered by LTE and solar that can be installed anywhere. Our technology detects and captures objective details, decodes evidence in real-time and delivers investigative leads into the hands of those who matter.
While safety is a serious business, we are a supportive team that is optimizing the remote experience to create strong and fun relationships even when we are physically apart. Our flock of hard-working employees thrive in a positive and inclusive environment, where a bias towards action is rewarded. Flock Safety is headquartered in Atlanta and operates nationwide. We are well funded by Meritech Capital, Initialized Capital, YCombinator, Matrix Partners, BedRock Capital, and Founders Fund - and we're scaling quickly.
About the opportunity
Flock is looking to add an Android Software Engineer to our Device software team. Our Device team is made up of scrappy engineers who are responsible for all of the code running on a variety of devices Flock deploys in the real world. They enable the whole experience by writing applications that reliably capture, process, and upload data for years at a time without needing human interaction to keep them running.
How You Will Take Flight With Flock
- Design systems at scale – We capture over 200M images daily and process them on the device in real time
- Own features through their lifecycle: ideation, proof of concept, beta testing, and release
- Collaborate with Hardware, Machine Learning, and Platform teams on multifaceted projects touching the entire system
- Work with systems designed for ultimate redundancy and high availability
- Balance performance with energy consumption - we're a machine learning enabled media processing machine powered by the sun!
- Work directly with Product to develop innovative software solutions to utilize our product in challenging customer use cases
- Interface multiple IoT devices together to share data to help each other understand and respond to the environment
- Love writing code and have extensive experience doing so.
- Have delivered production Android apps (ideally in Kotlin!) with more than a few downloads.
- Have a strong desire to understand the root cause of a problem and deliver a robust solution.
- Like to work on a product you can touch, see, and experience.
- Don't mind clicking accept when the screen says you're about to void the warranty.
- Are excited about working on a fast-paced, constantly evolving product.
- Be able to crack a joke every now and then, even if you're the only one who laughs.
If you noticed, the above list says very little about specific coding skills. We believe the right person for this role is much more than a great engineer. But to get into the nitty gritty, technology we work with on the daily looks like:
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 6 Series and 8 Series
- Android Open Source Project (AOSP) 8.1 and 10
- Some Java and C++ when we have to
- Sierra Wireless RIL
- Custom TCP and UDP protocols for content delivery
- Silicon Labs BLE Microcontrollers
Why join the Flock?
When you join the Flock, you are joining a diverse team of passionate, ambitious, intelligent people that put team over self. We offer competitive salary (commensurate with experience), equity in the company, take what you need vacation policy, and the opportunity to grow your career at a fast-paced, high growth mission-driven startup. We genuinely care about the well-being of our employees both in and out of the office and understand the importance of work/life balance. We'd love for you to join us in the fight to eliminate crime, one community at a time.
Company: Flock Safety
Job title: Embedded Android Engineer at Flock Safety () (allows remote)
Job tags: android, java, kotlin, embedded