Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
Remote job description
DEVELOPER ADVOCATE (TOOLS AND CLOUD SERVICES)
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Developer Advocate to join our team, reporting to the Manager of Developer Advocacy in the Technology department.
As a Developer Advocate, you will be part of a multifunctional team supporting our global communities of Free and Open Source developers. You will work closely with our technical community and staff, provide support to tool maintainers and users of our cloud services, run workshops, produce sample codes and tutorials, and help create a fun, inclusive and productive environment.
You'll work remotely with a full-time distributed team, and need to overlap (UTC-4 to UTC+2) working hours. Candidates need to be comfortable speaking in public, and communicating via asynchronous channels (mailing lists/forums/IRC).
As a Developer Advocate we'd like you to do these things:
- Support and help grow a vibrant technical community of tool developers and API consumers
- Collaborate with volunteer developers as well as other teams and organizations across the Wikimedia Movement and beyond
- Help developers to diagnose and resolve technical issues with our Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) platforms and their code
- Produce tutorials, documentation, and sample code demonstrating best practices in the use of Wikimedia APIs and datasets to build tools and other software for the Wikimedia projects
- Conduct trainings and workshops and provide space for discussions and peer-learning in online forums and at virtual or onsite movement events
- Mentor technical contributors in FOSS development practices and local community norms
- Talk with teams, individual contributors at Wikimedia Foundation, and community volunteers to obtain an in-depth understanding of needs and requirements of technical contributors
- Share our values, respect our code of conduct, adhere to our team norms, and work in accordance with all three
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a track record of modeling collaborative development practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Creative and highly motivated to serve diverse, multilingual and international communities
- Willing and ability to travel several times a year for in-person events, once it is safe to do so
- BS in Computer Science or other relevant technical field or the equivalent in related work experience
- Experience working with geographically distributed teams
- Experience participating in open source, open data or online volunteer communities
- Experience with one or more cloud computing environments (OpenStack, AWS, GCP/GKE, Azure, DigitalOcean, Heroku, etc)
- Experience with writing and optimizing SQL queries
- Familiarity with MediaWiki and/or MediaWiki APIs
- Ability to read and write multiple (human) languages
Show us your stuff!
- If you have participated in on-line collaborative communities please share links with us. This could be a wiki, web forum, mailing list, GitHub, Stack Exchange, Quora, etc. If you have developed any open source software, send links to that as well. We would love to see your work!
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Company name: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
Remote job title: Developer Advocate (Tools and Cloud Services) at Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. () (allows remote)
Job tags: cloud, api, web services