Backend Software Engineer
Remote job description
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That's the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we're building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We're looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent's enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you're just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you'll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
About the Team
The next big goal for Confluent is to make it as easy as possible for anyone to use Confluent's products, including Kafka, to build their next killer streaming application. We are at the beginning of this journey and are looking for great engineers to come join our world-class team that is passionate about building and running large scale, multi-tenant distributed systems for customers that expect a very high level of availability. Our backend engineering teams are driven by a set of diverse challenges to:
Bridge data connectivity between various data systems and Kafka by building highly available and scalable Confluent connectors that run on top of Apache Kafka Connect framework
Build foundational cloud frameworks and services that power all components of the platform in the Cloud. The services cover domains of billing, security, org hierarchy, marketplace integrations, to name a few, and involve working on various aspects of our multicloud and multitenant solution at different levels of the backend stack.
Who You Are:
- Smart, humble, and empathetic
- Have a strong sense of teamwork and put team's and company's interests first
- Driven and excited about challenges of a fast-paced, innovative software startup environment
- Build mission-critical backend services that deliver value to our customers. You will play a crucial role in architecting, designing, developing and operationalizing high performance, scalable, reliable and resilient services
- Troubleshoot and debug technical issues inside a deep and complex technical stack that includes microservices, containers, and virtualization
- Ensure operational readiness of the services and meet the availability and performance SLA commitments to our customers
- A strategic engineer who constantly thinks of process and operational improvements
What We're Looking For:
- 4+ years industry experience designing, building and supporting backend systems in production with a solid grasp on good software engineering practices such as code reviews, deep focus on quality, and documentation
- Direct experience building systems with online components that serve user request
- Strong programming and algorithmic skills. Proficiency in a major programming language, e.g. Java, Go, C / C++, Python, etc.
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
What Gives You An Edge:
- Large public clouds: AWS, GCP, AzureDocker, Kubernetes
- Familiarity with Kafka or Kafka Connect
- SaaS platform development
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.
Job title: Backend Software Engineer [Remote - USA]
Job tags: big data, infrastructure, open-source