Backend Engineer Customer Security
Remote job description
Coalition is the leading provider of cyber insurance and security, combining comprehensive insurance and proactive cybersecurity tools to help organizations be resilient to cyber attacks. Cyber losses cost the global economy upwards of $1.5 trillion each year, and yet the majority of businesses are under-insured and under-prepared to manage and mitigate the risks of an increasingly digital world. Coalition is addressing this gap by providing no-cost cybersecurity tools to prevent losses, security and incident response services to contain them, and comprehensive insurance to help organizations recover from failures and breaches. We serve over 42,000 customers, ranging from small and midsize businesses to Fortune 500 companies.
Founded in 2017, Coalition has raised $300M from leading global technology investors, including Index Ventures, General Atlantic, Ribbit Capital, Vy Capital, Hillhouse Capital, and Valor Equity Partners, among others. Headquartered in San Francisco, Coalition's team is global with employees based across the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, and Portugal.
About The Role
As a Software Engineer, you will be working across multiple software development projects that can range from API's to scraping and ETL workflows. Your primary focus will be the development of server-side logic, ensuring high performance and responsiveness across the platform.
Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and decouple systems as we continue to grow. We're looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle
- Be part of a remote team;
- Writing REST APIs on the back-end, and consuming them on the front-end;
- Writing back-end integrations with third-party services to aggregate data and process data;
- Writing scrapers and web collection components.
- Systems and data engineering: due to the large amounts of data we collect, speed and efficiency are perpetual concerns for our multi-worker architecture.
- You will join our engineering team and work closely with our product design team. This role comes with a senior engineer to get paired with you and guide you on improving over time.
- Review work done by other engineers
Skills and Qualifications
- 1-3 Years experience developing software;
- Proficient in modern systems architectures and implementation;
- Python and one or more of its web server frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django);
- Golang with a demonstrable understanding of core HTTP REST implementations;
- Unit and end-to-end testing;
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases and data modeling;
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools (e.g. Git);
- Good English (spoken and written)
- Experience with Cloud Services;
- Experience with Apache NiFi;
- Experience with Golang service best practices for concurrent designs;
- Experience with deployment automation and scalable infrastructure;
- Understanding of HTTP / REST security concepts, including common vulnerabilities;
- Knowledge of other useful web technologies: Redux, Webpack, ES6, TypeScript, etc;
We are all here to build something we believe in and to make a company that will last. We're also assembling a team of expert incident responders, threat and malware researchers, and security analysts to protect our customers before, during, and after a cyber incident. Our goal is to harness the power of technology with the safety of insurance, to provide the first holistic solution to cyber risk. Coalition's culture is one that strongly values humility, authenticity, and diversity. We want to work with people of different backgrounds and different paths in life, and we trust our team members to take responsibility, share ownership and work for one another. We are always looking for collaborative, inquisitive and dedicated individuals to join our team.
Our culture is one of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, and authenticity. We are growing rapidly and that growth is enabled by strong teamwork, communication, and mentorship. We want people who are passionate about becoming experts in both the business and the technologies that support it. Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic decisions about how to scale and de-couple systems as we continue to grow. We're looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team understand how they fit into the broader puzzle.
Recent press releases:
Coalition Raises $175M At A $1.75B valuation
Coalition raises $175 million to fund expansion
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.Summary
Backend Engineer - Customer Security