Application Security Engineer
Remote job description
"The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy.
The Reddit Security team is rapidly developing, and this is an opportunity to get in and have an outsized impact on a highly skilled and motivated team. We look for humble experts with a relentlessly resourceful and entrepreneurial "can do" view of security. We want to deliver facts and not FUD to the business to enable Reddit to manage risk more effectively. Culture is important to us and a learning and developing mentality is vital regardless of the work assigned.
If you work tirelessly to break into computer networks and just as tirelessly to ensure others cannot, we need you. The ideal candidate will work to secure our codebase and CI/CD pipelines, and work with our bug bounty program participants.
This position expands our existing application security team by bringing skills like code review, programmatic and scalable security testing, and product security evaluation for new features and code that Reddit ships every day. You'll be working closely with our engineering teams to improve the security posture of Reddit's codebase.
What You'll Do:
- Perform threat modeling and security design reviews for new features and functionality
- Design and build security testing solutions that span Reddit's various languages
- Write code to address security vulnerabilities. Build scalable systems to handle automation of security testing to improve scalability of the appsec team at Reddit
- Extend our existing CI testing to include security tests to automate detection of newly introduced vulnerabilities
- Perform manual security testing of new features on the launch lifecycle
What We Can Expect From You:
- 5+ years of experience in application security or application development
- Familiarity with at least one of Python, Golang, JS/TS
- Familiar with BurpSuite, Charles, Zap, or some web proxy for traffic inspection
- Familiar with industry appsec standards, such as OWASP, OAuth2, ratelimiting approaches, cryptography
- Experience with cloud service design and engineering (AWS preferred)
- Experience conducting web security testing.
- Experience with application development on Kubernetes
- (Optional) Experience with writing SAST rules with Semgrep / CodeQL
What You Can Expect From Us:
- Competitive Healthcare Benefits Package
- Quarterly Dependent Care or Pet Care Stipend
- Family Expansion Benefits
- 4 Months Parental Leave with Flexible Return-To-Work Programming
- Professional & Personal Development Stipends
- Unlimited Vacation, Annual Travel Stipend, and 10 Paid Holidays
- Onsite Wellness Classes and Wellness Stipend
- 401k Plan with Employer Contributions
- Monthly Commuter Stipend
- Monthly Cell Phone Allowance
- Paid Volunteer Days, plus Reddit For Good Volunteer Opportunities
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at ApplicationAssistance@Reddit.com.
Company name: reddit
Remote job title: Application Security Engineer
Job tags: security-testing, Service Design, Python