Remote job description
At Chainguard, we are on a mission to secure the software supply chain by default. We are choosing to do this the right way, which is the hard way. Some have even called us "the Justice League of security." Our team is founded by the industry's leading experts on open source software, security and cloud native development and is backed by Sequoia, Amplify Partners, the Chainsmokers and more. Chainguard's product portfolio includes Chainguard Enforce, Chainguard Images and Professional Services. Customers range from Fortune 500 companies in banking, fintech, government and infrastructure to startups and SMBs. Join us as we help organizations secure their software supply chain from source to production.
We live and breathe our company values:
We are customer obsessed - Our true advantage is the strength of our relationships with customers through collaboration, empathy, and responsiveness. We establish trust as we educate, advocate, and listen to their needs. Our focus is on delivering solutions to our customers that create value and make their lives better.
We have a bias for intentional action - We're a start-up and we need to move fast. However we need to move fast through intentional action to make sure we're able to deliver quickly and efficiently on what is most impactful to our collective success. We prioritize, plan, try things, and fail fast. We think about how what we do impacts other teams and communicate our progress - owning the whole solution from start to finish. If we move fast enough, we can make two or three mistakes, learn, and correct them before competitors even make their first decision.
We don't take ourselves too seriously (but we do serious work) - Though we are solving an important problem which takes focus and a degree of seriousness, we don't take ourselves too seriously while we do. We laugh, have fun, embrace uniqueness, and enjoy the journey. Together.
We trust each other and assume good intentions - We hire great team members and trust them to do their work. We're transparent with data, news, and decisions - positive or negative - to empower team members to make well informed decisions. Showing up for each other fully means we celebrate each other's accomplishments as well as give compassionate direct feedback when needed. We always default to assuming good intentions.
The role, in a nutshell:
We are looking for a Corporate Counsel with a versatile skill set to provide comprehensive legal support across various facets of our business. In addition to corporate legal expertise, this role requires a solid understanding of open source licensing and compliance to ensure that our company operates in accordance with industry best practices. We are looking for someone who wants to work at an early-stage company, and is excited by the opportunity to truly roll up their sleeves on everything from the most critical strategic matters to the hands-on, tactical responsibilities needed to run a company.
What you'll do:
- Provide legal advice and support on a wide range of corporate matters, including contracts, regulatory compliance, data privacy (including GDPR), employment law, and intellectual property.
- Draft, review, and negotiate various commercial agreements, including customer agreements, vendor contracts, license agreements, and partnership agreements.
- Ensure contracts align with open source licensing requirements when applicable.
- Assess and advise on open source software licenses, ensuring compliance with their terms.
- Collaborate with relevant teams to manage open source license obligations and risks.
- Manage and mitigate legal risk by developing and implementing appropriate policies, procedures, and training programs.
- Support corporate governance and board matters, including preparing resolutions, minutes, and other corporate documents.
- Advise on and manage intellectual property matters, including patent, trademark, and copyright filings and enforcement.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure that legal and business objectives are aligned and met.
- Monitor and keep the company informed of relevant legal developments, regulatory changes, and industry trends.
What we're looking for:
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited law school.
- Demonstrated expertise in corporate law, contracts, and compliance matters.
- Experience working with technology companies, especially in the cybersecurity sectors is a plus.
- Proficiency in contract negotiation and drafting.
- Strong understanding of open source licensing models and compliance.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of industry-specific regulations and best practices is a plus.
A few of the benefits we offer:
- Equity/stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- Remote work with flexible coworking and team meetup opportunities
- Home office and internet stipend
- 100% health/dental/vision insurance coverage for you and your family
If your experience is close but doesn't fulfill all requirements, please apply. Chainguard is on a mission to build the best team. To achieve our goal, we are focused on hiring "Guardians'' with unique backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
Chainguard is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Company name: Chainguard
Remote job title: Corporate Counsel
Job tags: Contract Negotiation, Compliance, licensing