Senior Engineering Manager Banking
Remote job description
We are on a mission to liberate businesses and people to do their best work.
We are an ambitious, international team with more than 30 nationalities represented today. We believe that people do their best work when they're given the freedom to thrive and grow. Thinking big, bringing a positive attitude, and taking full ownership are three characteristics that thread our team together.
Founded in 2016 Spendesk today serves thousands of businesses in Europe and the US, and we recently raised a further ?100m investment bringing our series C funding to over ?200m and in the process becoming one of Europe's latest Tech Unicorns. Our team of 350+ Spendeskers is spread across four offices in Paris, Berlin, London and San Francisco, alongside many teammates working remotely from various cities in Europe.
And we're growing fast. Come join us!
Manage people and projects of the banking squad. The banking organisation has two tech squads, one operation team, one compliance team and one partnership team. As an engineering lead, you'll be in charge of managing one of the two technical squads. This includes 1:1 with members of the team, settings goals and making perf review. Giving feedback to developers to help them grow. Report to the engineering director with project status and blockers. Collaborate with other teams especially in partnership and operation to deliver value to our customers. Some projects will include Instant Payment, Payment Initiation and expansion in the UK and US.
Start with Why? We are looking for analytical people who can understand and solve complex problems, challenge priority and make decisions based on data.
Solve for the customer. We are a customer-centric company not a tech centric company. You will work with a dedicated product manager, a designer and the support team to provide a first in class user experience and build the best banking app for businesses. As a lead, your team is also your customer, making sure developers are autonomous and productive is part of your responsibility.
Insist on the highest standards. You will develop on a 1-year recent code that encapsulates best practices like DDD, Micro-services, Kafka. You will ensure the quality of the code that is released into production. Give the direction of metrics and monitoring.
Be bold. In our fast-paced environment, every decision you'll make will have a huge impact. You will setup goals for the team and keep track of them. You won't hesitate to take risks and try to make the organisation better.
Team player. There are already 9 developers in the banking team. As we grow, you'll become a key member of the team, help more junior people to grow and become a trusted Spendesker.
We don't choose technology because they are shiny but because they solve a problem.
Our app is composed of 6 services in Nodejs for the backend, hosted on kubernetes. Each of them as it's own RDS Postgres (AWS) database and they communicate together via REST API or via managed Kafka that is used as en event bus. The monitoring and logging is done on Datadog, and the frontend of the back office is in React.
What we're looking for
All jobs start with:
- Fluent in written and spoken English - it is our business language
- At least 4 years of experience in development (no requirement on the language).
- Leading a long-term project from spec to Global access (GA) OR Managing a team of at least two persons for a year.
- Previous track record of good collaboration with product managers and external stakeholders.
- Good writing skills.
- Autonomy, fast learning, and proactiveness.
- Experience in fintech is a plus but not mandatory.
- Engineering school or not feel free to apply we won't ask you for your diploma but for real-world experience.
- As we are an international team, please submit your application and CV in English.
- Exciting time to join Spendesk in terms of growth and opportunities
- Competitive compensation package with equity (everyone is an owner of the company!)
- Flexible and remote-friendly work environment
- The best equipment for your needs (Macbook Pro, secondary screen, ...)
- Internal social events (hackathon, company-wide parties, offsite, ...)
- Brand-new offices in the heart of Paris, Berlin & London
- A purple Spendesk card (for your work purchases)!
- And more!
What you can expect from the process:
- 1. A video call with one of our Talent Acquisition Partners to fully understand your career aspirations and answer any questions you have
- 2. A series of videos calls with members of the team to align on what they will expect from you, and assess your technical skills and job fit
- 3. A final video call with the Hiring Manager, Head-Of, or C-Level (CEO included) to review any remaining questions
Company name: Spendesk
Remote job title: Senior Engineering Manager Banking
Job tags: saas / subscription, business services