Principal Software Architect
Remote job description
Reporting to the Head of Engineering, this role is crucial for ServiceTitan's next phase of growth and scale. We are sitting on an incredibly rich set of functionality and customer use cases that ServiceTitan will need to continue to enhance, build anew and scale 10X. For this upcoming phase of our continued growth, our software platform needs a transformation to a fully distributed set of functional modules (Micro/Macro-services) with clean well defined interfaces and independent operational and scale characteristics. Our mobile and web applications need to encapsulate these rich modules into snappy, intuitive experiences and our application tier needs a configurable workflow engine to stitch capabilities into coherent yet discernible experiences for different customer segments and our API surfaces need a secure, performant and encapsulated exposure to allow for a thriving developer ecosystem and marketplace to thrive.
This leadership role is chartered to lead this functional, experiential and ecosystem oriented transformation of the ServiceTitan product.
What you'll do:
- Key leader of the newly instituted "Technical Architecture Group" for the company including advising, aligning, and streamlining key decisions for shared technology in partnership with Engineering management and Principal Architects.
- Lead the functional modularization of our currently monolithic functionality rich codebase.
- Design, Develop and critique API and data model in a distributed set of functional modules including CRM/Marketing, Accounting, Inventory Management, Communications (Email/Chat/Text), Scheduling and Dispatch, Capacity Planning and In-product KPI reporting etc.
- Technical ownership of system architecture target state, roadmap and evolution as we move to a distributed system with bounded Contexts and Microservices across our infrastructure and platform layers to build out our cloud based stack for a 10X transformation.
- Unifying our vision and aligning all engineers around a focused set of architectural principles.
- Key hands-on code laden ownership of a few crucial components of our technical stack.
- Frequently present at public venues including internal technology sessions, conferences, executive meetings and customer briefings explaining our technology, product and stack.
- Communicate effectively with cross-functional teams, engineers, Product Managers, customers, and partners
- A key mentor and guide for engineers across engineering as a whole.
- Participate in technical calibration sessions.
- Contribute to the roadmap and resource planning
- Work closely with Recruiting - in particular, interview candidates and co-own activities related to lead generation (e.g. tech talks) and screening (HackerRank test)
What you'll bring:
- 10+ years of industry experience, including with large scale enterprise web/saas applications
- First hand experience with a cloud transformation as well as unraveling a monolithic codebase to a system of highly available microservices with exceptional performance and load resiliency.
- Strong technical knowledge in the areas of:
- Microsoft .NET technology stack (C# / .NET, ASP.NET MVC, Web APIs) and SQL databases (Microsoft SQL Server or any other) preferred. (Java based stack experience acceptable with a keen adaptability for new technologies.)
- Git, unit testing, debugging, profiling, IDEs, JIRA and other tools that are typically used by developers on Microsoft technology stack.
- Continuous integration and continuous delivery methodologies and tools (TeamCity or similar).
- Performance / reliability monitoring tools (e.g. New Relic, DataDog, Application Insights)
- Log / Metric collection and analysis tools (e.g. Elasticsearch-Logstash-Kibana, DataDog, Interana).
- Strong expertise & experience with majority of Kubernetes, Functions/Serverless computing, Distributed messaging systems (Kafka, Event Hubs, SQS etc), Data Lakehouse architectures (e.g. Snowflake, Databricks Delta) and API gateways will be crucial to the success of this role.
- Administration and building automation for Azure, AWS or other public cloud technology.
- Experience with large scale 3rd party integrations including Accounting, ERP, HRIS systems and Ad exchanges.
- Experience with API surfaces for Developer ecosystems.
- Ability to empathize with our users and champion their experience.
- Ability to roll up sleeves and develop blueprint codebases for cornerstone technical systems.
- Exceptional communication skills including interpersonal as well as public speaking. Ability to present and communicate vision is paramount for the success of this role.
- A talent magnet, this leader will bring the best and the brightest to the best vertical SaaS product company for the trades industry.
- A non-negotiable need for this role will be a high EQ and a strong inclination to build a highly effective, diverse team where all members feel respected, included and can bring their whole self to the job.
- BA/BS Computer Science or a related discipline. MS/PhD highly desirable from a top-tier university.
Be Human With Us:
Being human isn't about checking every box on a list. It's about the experiences we have, people we meet, and the perspectives we share. So, if you have the skills but are hesitant to apply because of your background, apply anyway. We need amazing people like you to help us challenge the conventional and think differently about the problems that we're solving. We're in this together. Come be human, with us.
What We Offer:
When you join our team, you're not just accepting a job. You're making a career move. Here's how we'll support you in doing some of the most impactful work of your career:
- Flextime, recognition, and support for autonomous work: Flexible time off with ample learning and development opportunities to continue growing your career. We offer a comprehensive onboarding program, leadership training for Titans at all levels, and other programs and events. Great work is rewarded through Bonusly, peer-nominated awards, and Founders Club- open to all Titans.
- Holistic health and wellness benefits: Company-paid medical, dental, and vision (with 100% employer paid options and 90% coverage for dependents), FSA and HSA, 401k match, and telehealth options including memberships to Headspace, Galileo, One Medical, Ginger and more.
- Support for Titans at all stages of life: Parental leave and support, up to $20k in adoption reimbursement, on demand maternity support through Maven Maternity, free breast milk shipping through Maven Milk, pet insurance, legal advisory services, financial planning tools, and more.
At ServiceTitan, we celebrate individuality and uniqueness. We believe that the convergence of fresh perspectives and experiences from all walks of life is what makes our product and culture so great. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We do not discriminate against employees based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity or expression, age, disability, pregnancy (including childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), genetic information, protected military or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Company name: ServiceTitan
Remote job title: Principal Software Architect
Job tags: saas / subscription, business services, smb