Engineering Manager, Infrastructure
Remote job description
Insurance... sounds slow, old-fashioned, and unexciting. Exactly. Insurance is broken, and it's failing fast-moving, innovative startups.
Vouch is a new, technology-first insurance company backed with $160M in funding from world-class investors. Like Stripe for payments or Brex for credit cards, Vouch is creating the go-to business insurance for high-growth companies.
We're doing this by making insurance fast, responsive, and focused on our customers -high growth and innovative companies. Instead of printed PDF applications and week-long waits, Vouch is building new technology to solve real problems, writing policies that actually cover relevant startup scenarios, and designing simple experiences in an otherwise frustrating industry.
What does a work environment look like at Vouch?
Vouch is a Virtual First Workplace with office locations in SF, Chicago, and NYC . This role can be based anywhere in the U.S as long as you can work our Vouch core collaboration hours (8:30 am-2:30 pm Pacific Time.)
Vouch is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our growing Infrastructure and DevOps team. In this role, you will be building and delivering very-reliable systems infrastructure and the tools needed to develop, test, and deploy to that infrastructure that drives the insurance experience of thousands of high-growth start-ups.
- Lead and grow a team of engineers and coordinate with other stakeholders at the company to drive the engineering roadmap for your team.
- Take responsibility for the quality, efficiency, and reliability of the software and operations activities your team delivers and will be responsible for your team's overall delivery.
- Own architecture, design, and implementation of production and per-production AWS infrastructure at Vouch
- Automate all infrastructure provisioning w/ Terraform and build/maintain CI/CD pipeline for infrastructure changes
- Manage Vouch DNS, network, and load-balancing infrastructure
- Engage directly with software engineering teams to deliver reusable patterns that enable easy, consistent application deployment in AWS
- Lead the conversation around AWS infrastructure and security best practices
- Deliver flexible, cost-effective infrastructure and scaling patterns and the tools and training needed for the Vouch engineering team to succeed.
- Manage the logging, monitoring, and alerting systems of our applications, establish best practices and tooling needed to deliver consistent results.
- 3+ years experience as an engineering manager directly responsible for leading and managing a team of 5+ engineers including devops/infrastructure engineers.
- 5+ years of AWS infrastructure development w/ emphasis on infrastructure as code and provisioning/updating automation (preferably w/ Terraform)
- Proficient w/ Linux systems administration, network configuration, and shell scripting
- Expertise w/ Linux system containerization using Docker
- Proficient software development with Git, and Python or NodeJS
- Experience w/ micro-services or services-oriented Architecture (SOA)
- Exceptional communication skills. You can effectively talk (and listen) to engineers, product managers, executives, and other stakeholders.
Nice to have:
- Experience delivering reusable software libraries/packages to enable easier use and adoption of infrastructure patterns and systems
- Experience designing and implementing CI/CD pipelines and systems for use by multiple engineering teams
- Extensive experience debugging problems w/ distributed systems and networks
- Familiarity with SSO integration
- Working knowledge of PostgreSQL RDBMS administration on AWS RDS
Stack we use:
- Node, TypeScript, React, Ruby/Rails, Vue, GraphQL, PostgreSQL
- CircleCI, Docker, LogRocket, Rollbar, Datadog, LaunchDarkly
- Cypress, Jest, RSpec
- AWS (Lambdas, SQS, ECS, etc) and Netlify
- GitHub, Asana, Lucidchart, Miro, Sketch, Figma
Vouch provides a number of benefits to help you bring your best self to work:
- Competitive compensation and equity packages
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Flexible vacation time (Unlimited PTO)
- Wellness allowance ($80/month)
- Technology allowance ($100/month)
- Monthly Doordash credits ($80/month)
- Vouch believes in putting our people first and building a diverse team is at the front of everything that we do. We welcome people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate the diversity of our growing team.
- If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. #LI-Remote
Company name: Vouch
Remote job title: Engineering Manager, Infrastructure