Engineering Lead, Regional Expansion
Remote job description
Wise is one the fastest growing companies and we're on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We've got 10 million customers across the globe and we're growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
- So, we're building a new one.
- And, we need a talented Engineering Lead to join our mission and lead one of our Regional Expansion teams.
Wise has always been focused on moving money between as many currencies and countries as possible. Our Regional Expansion tribe works toward this goal by adding new routes and improving our existing ones will always be the core of our business. Through integration with local partners, they build a foundation for other tribes to succeed. To get there, we're working on a variety of interesting projects and challenges. These include things like introducing bank account details for HKD and building a complete eKYC (electronic Know Your Customer) tool to improve onboarding of users in several countries across the region.
We've been expanding across the Asia Pacific region for the last 5 years and there's lots more to do. The region is full of opportunities for us to impact the lives of millions of more people who want to send money to and from countries in APAC.
As an Engineering Lead you'll be heavily involved in the development life-cycle of the solutions provided to the region, from design to coding and testing. Communication and people management plays a big role in this position, too. This means coaching your team, helping them overcome blockers in their work and ensuring a healthy culture for your teams.
What does it take?
- Being responsible for the overall health and productivity of the engineers within your team
- Providing feedback on architecture and approach and helping teams make data-driven decisions
- Having an overview of what's happening across the organisation and thinking about engineering as a whole
- Rolling your sleeves up and being involved in the entire process
Is that you?
- Experience leading, coaching and mentoring driven and high performing teams
- A passion for international finance, foreign exchange and payment systems
- Comfortable working on big challenges and taking full ownership of the customer journey
- Experience building and designing scalable and performing systems
- Experience working with Java, Spring framework, asynchronous message queues and have worked with microservices architecture
- Comfortable with SQL databases, optimisation and transaction
- ...but don't worry we don't expect you to know everything!
Nice to have bonuses:
Experience working with KYC or payment systems
What does success look like?
- You'll have found your place in our mission by understanding how to drive engineering solutions and look to future challenges
- You'll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You'll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You'll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You'll help us scale-up and build a world class money transfer product that impacts millions of customers
What you get back:
- The ability to choose your own path to success - you'll have the freedom to define the vision
- The freedom to have real impact
- The opportunity to inspire teams
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- Find out more about our benefits in our Singapore office.
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work - a practical guide
- TransferWise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- The TransferWise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- Our Engineering career map
- First year as a public company: a financial review from our CFO, Matt Briers
- Behind the scenes of working in a Regional team at Wise
- ...or check out our Engineering blog.
- We're people without borders - without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you're passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you'll fit right in.
- Also, qualifications aren't that important to us. If you've got great experience, and you're great at articulating your thinking, we'd like to hear from you.
- And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we'd especially love to hear from you if you're from an under-represented demographic.
Company name: Wise
Remote job title: Engineering Lead, Regional Expansion
Job tags: marketplace, fintech, forex, sharing economy