Remote job description
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn't come with a manual. That's why we're building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes - knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry - we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We're seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we'll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million+ projects started on Thumbtack
- About 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- About 10 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Growth Team
The Growth team is responsible for bringing users, customers and pros, to Thumbtack. Our users find Thumbtack through a variety of channels including inbound and outbound sales, organic results in search engines (SEO), search ads (SEM), social ads (e.g. Facebook), offline marketing (e.g. TV, Radio), brand marketing and partnerships as well as come directly to our homepage or native apps. Our growth team owns all these frontdoor experiences, growing user acquisition and activation through these channels.
About the Role
Growth is the engine of any marketplace. In this role you will be leading the engineering team directly responsible for it. The team is highly interdisciplinary, encompassing engineers with a variety of skill sets including frontend engineering, native mobile, backend engineering and machine learning/optimization. In this role, you'll not only partner with product, design, business development and marketing leads to develop and execute on a growth strategy for Thumbtack, but also help build critical infrastructure and systems that power that growth and enable the team to move fast.
- Build and grow an amazing engineering organization with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast.
- Hire and support senior technical leaders and managers within the team to scale the organization in the coming months to achieve aggressive growth goals across existing and emerging channels.
- Work with engineering leads within the team as well as cross functional leads (including product, marketing, analytics and design) to craft a compelling vision and long term strategy for growth.
- Set the team up for excellence in execution and anticipate and plan ahead for infrastructure the team needs to build for long term success. This infrastructure could be backend systems, machine learning models, frontend infrastructure for fantastic pagespeed, or experimental infrastructure to enable rapid testing and prototyping of onboarding flows within our native apps.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to evolve and continually improve Thumbtack's engineering culture in a high paced growth environment.
What you'll need
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Experience in a senior engineering management role.
- 8-10+ years experience building software at scale.
- Good knowledge of growth strategies and experience building and scaling growth teams.
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
- Passion for leading teams, setting vision, developing leaders and building highly functioning organizations.
- Collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams to achieve results.
- Stay up to date with innovation, able to guide technology evolution and not afraid to write code.
Bonus points if you have
- Experience at a growth-stage consumer tech company.
- Experience with a marketplace business.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines.* Learn more about our virtual-first working model here.
#LI-RemoteBenefits & Perks
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services (North America)
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: email@example.com.
Company name: Thumbtack
Remote job title: Director, Engineering
Job tags: Growth Marketing, marketplace, Team Leadership