Senior Technical Product Marketing Manager
Remote job description
What you build and where it takes you shouldn't be limited by the capabilities of your database. We created CockroachDB to be the most highly evolved, cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet. Making scale so simple, you don't even have to think about it. Making data so resilient, it becomes impossible to destroy. Making delivery so seamless, your apps run anywhere. Join us on our mission to build a different breed of database-one born in the cloud and built from the ground up to help companies of any size scale fast, survive disaster, and thrive everywhere.
About the Role
In this strategic role, you will analyze and understand the dynamic competitive landscape of the largest software market on the planet, the database market. You will create and deliver critical technical and GTM assets to internal stakeholders that will help them understand the position of Cockroach Labs within this market and how we compete against other solutions. You will work closely with our product team, and serve as a competitive strategy leader, providing input into a customer-centric roadmap that delivers unparalleled value to customers. Finally, as a marketing team member, you will advise on competitive marketing campaigns and impact our constantly evolving go-to-marketing strategy.
The ideal candidate will have direct or adjacent domain expertise in the database market. You have a comfortable knowledge of the tools and platforms that are driving modern data architectures in both small companies and large enterprises. You are able to effectively engage with and participate in conversations about this market and our competitors.
There are three key areas of focus for this role. You will:
Collect and Curate
CockroachDB delivers a broad range of value to our customers, but so do many other solutions. In this role, you will be in tune with the market and be charged with the collection of competitive materials. You will be an active participant and help steer a cross-functional group of individuals who understand the value of competing solutions and also dive deep into the technology and architecture to uncover strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. You will effectively collect and curate this information so that it can be used across different functional areas.
Synthesize and Analyze
You'll consume this information and work to derive new insights or to consolidate and simplify points of competition so that it is easier to consume. You can effectively create a "harvey ball" comparison and talk through some of the lower-level technical differences across competing solutions. You will collect information and ensure it is available and structured for various departments to consume it and act on it.
Educate and Influence
You are a critical part of the Product Marketing team participating in our product launch process, providing insight and input into the message and narrative that will inspire and incite the adoption of CockroachDB. You will also be looked at as an expert within Cockroach Labs and will serve many stakeholders including:
- Demand Generation teams will use your content to fuel disruptive competitive campaigns. Some of your content will speak to technical audiences, while others may focus on higher-level business value.
- The Product Management team will use your research, insight, and opinion to help inform and shape an effective, customer-first roadmap.
- Most importantly, you will empower our Sales and Field teams with the competitive tools and speaking points to compete effectively in deals. You will directly affect revenue.
In your first 30 days, you will immerse yourself in our market and product, CockroachDB, so you can gain proficiency in our product and how we make it easier for companies to build and scale apps. You will build relationships with various individuals and teams at Cockroach Labs to build trust and establish connections.
After 90 days, you will be an active participant of the Product Marketing team and represent us within the revenue-producing functions within Cockroach Labs.
- 10+ years of total experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience in databases or adjacent data technologies
- Technical prowess to comprehend high-level software architectures
- A basic understanding of distributed systems (optional)
- Experience building and maintaining a competitive intelligence program (optional)
- A strong capability to create compelling marketing communications
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to connect the right content to the right teams
- BS in CS/CE or equivalent technical degree preferred
- Intellectual curiosity and a desire to tinker with technology
- Proven experience collaborating across multiple teams
- Able to take a project from idea to execution
- A change agent and a leader
You will join a world-class Product Marketing team in the broader Marketing organization. Product Marketing at Cockroach Labs means you work with *everyone*, including sales, sales enablement, solution engineering, product management, demand generation, and many teams. We like it that way-helping to shape the strategy of a high-growth company no matter where it takes us. If you're looking to join an impactful team that impacts the company's growth vector daily, this job is for you.
You'll report to Andrew Marshall, VP of Product Marketing and a product leader who's driven marketing strategies at companies like Amazon Web Services, PagerDuty, New Relic, and Microsoft. Andrew believes in building teams that think creatively, love working with each other, and are genuinely excited to build new things each day.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.
Company name: Cockroach Labs
Remote job title: Senior Technical Product Marketing Manager
Job tags: analytics, big data, enterprise, infrastructure