Senior Commercial Counsel
Remote job description
Grafana Labs is seeking a Senior Commercial Counsel to join our dedicated, collaborative, and fast-growing legal team. The primary responsibility of the Senior Commercial Counsel will be to support the Grafana Labs sales and procurement teams team in reviewing, advising, and negotiating a variety of enterprise b2b commercial agreements, with additional responsibilities. This critical role will also support broader legal matters, which may include legal policies, vendor and marketing agreements, channel programs, privacy, maintaining commercial legal form agreements, and other cross-functional matters.
The successful candidate will be a creative and analytical thinker who is highly detail oriented and embraces a business-oriented approach, with the ability to think strategically and establish a trusted advisor relationship with internal stakeholders.
- Review, advise, and negotiate a variety of enterprise b2b agreements, including complex inbound and outbound commercial licenses (SaaS and On-Prem), data processing (GDPR, CCPA), business associate (HIPAA), information security, professional services, channel partner, non-disclosure, and other commercial and technology related agreements.
- Take a practical, creative and proactive problem-solving approach to efficiently close deals while advising business leaders on acceptable risk.
- Occasionally consult with outside counsel on complex deals, as needed.
- Collaborate with cross-functional business teams on legal, regulatory, and corporate matters, such as company policies, data protection and privacy, revenue recognition, and other compliance and operational matters.
- Partner with cross-functional business teams, such as finance, support, and security to efficiently resolve commercial and operational matters, including the launch of new go-to-market structures and programs / other projects as required.
- Assist in creating and improving our form agreements and playbooks, as needed.
- Contribute to the development of workflows and processes needed to efficiently scale the legal team, such as those related to the negotiation and signature of final agreements, and the tracking of contractual obligations in those agreements.
- Assist with global expansion efforts around Go-To-Market, privacy-by-design, and security-by-design
- Create and present training materials to business teams on a variety of issues, including, legal best practices, efficiently engaging legal, and current legal/regulatory issues, as required.
- JD / US law degree and bar admission in good standing in at least one state in the U.S.
- 5-7 years of technology related commercial legal experience (preferably in the SaaS industry)
- 8+ years of experience as a practicing attorney
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to maintain strong relationships with internal clients, with high level of client service
- Significant experience with Data Protection Laws
- Strong work ethic alongside the ability to work independently but also within a team
- Experience with a high-volume "caseload" with the ability to distill and prioritize complex and urgent commercial legal matters
- Sound commercial acumen and with ability to recognize and balance risk appropriately
- Strong communication, negotiation, and presentation skills
- Experience with open-source licensing is a plus
In the United States, the base compensation range for this role is $210,000 - $252,000. Actual compensation may vary based on level, experience, and skillset as assessed in the interview process. Benefits include equity, bonus (if applicable), and other benefits listed on our careers page.
About Grafana Labs: There are more than 950,000 active installations of Grafana around the globe, monitoring everything from beehives to climate change in the Alps. The instantly recognizable dashboards have been spotted everywhere from a NASA launch and Minecraft HQ to Wimbledon and the Tour de France. Grafana Labs also helps companies including Bloomberg, JPMorgan Chase, and eBay manage their observability strategies with full-stack offerings that can be run fully managed with Grafana Cloud, or self-managed with Grafana Enterprise Stack. The Grafana stack has grown to include four other open source projects, Grafana Loki (for logs), Grafana Tempo (for traces), Grafana Mimir (for metrics), and Grafana OnCall (for on-call management).
Benefits: For more information about the perks and benefits of working at Grafana, please check out our careers page.
A note about covid-19: All Grafanistas who wish to attend in-person events or travel for Grafana Labs must be fully-vaccinated.
Equal Opportunity Employer: At Grafana Labs we're building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees. If you're excited about this role but your experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we're working hard to make sure that's the foundation of our organisation as we grow.
Company name: Grafana Labs
Remote job title: Senior Commercial Counsel
Job tags: Open Source Software, data protection, licensing