Remote job description
At Plaid, our mission is to unlock financial freedom for everyone. There has never been a better time than now to start building the future of fintech with us. Plaid powers the tools millions of people rely on to live a healthier financial life. We work with thousands of companies like Venmo and SoFi, several of the Fortune 500, and many of the largest banks to make it easy for people to connect their financial accounts to the apps and services they want to use. Plaid's network covers 11,000 financial institutions across the US, Canada, UK and Europe. Founded in 2013, the company is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York, Salt Lake City, Washington D.C., London and Amsterdam.
Plaid's Legal Team works at the intersection of technology, law and financial services. Our work helps Plaid build delightful and innovative products, make better decisions, understand and manage risks, and creatively navigate challenges, both external and internal.
We're looking for a Product Counsel to join our Legal Team! In this role, you'll work closely with Product, Engineering, Design, Marketing and many other teams to understand and assess new products, from early development stages through launch, and help scale existing products. You'll operate as an embedded member of the product team and be trusted to be a key legal, business, and strategic advisor, on complex legal, regulatory, and data privacy questions. The ideal candidate will be a highly collaborative, inquisitive, and solutions-oriented lawyer with prior experience advising on product development at a fast moving technology company. Experience in financial technology, payments, or financial services is helpful, but not required, for you to be successful in this role.
If you're interested in a forward-thinking role within an ambitious and dynamic company, let's chat!
What Excites You:
- Providing pragmatic, creative, and strategic advice to product teams on novel legal questions, risks, and opportunities, including the development and launch of new products
- Collaborating closely with a wide variety of teams at Plaid, including Product, Engineering, Revenue, Compliance, Risk and Marketing, on complex legal questions related to product development and commercialization, including advising on new and emerging legal and regulatory developments impacting products
- Building strong relationships with product and business colleagues and operating as a trusted advisor to help them ship great products
- Monitoring and analyzing legal, regulatory, and policy developments relevant to financial services and fintech; and identifying trends and potential impacts on business activities and adapting existing laws to new technologies
- Constant learning, moving fast, and having fun at the same time
What Excites Us:
- You have a J.D. degree and membership in at least one U.S. state bar, with at least 4+ years of relevant experience at a top law firm, in-house legal team, and/or government agency, with a focus on advising on product development at the intersection of financial services and technology
- You have a deep understanding of the laws, regulations, and requirements applicable to financial services, and are familiar with (or can quickly get up to speed about) data privacy, consumer protection, marketing, payments, the Nacha Operating Rules, and cryptocurrencies
- You're a creative thinker who is comfortable interpreting and applying the law in unsettled contexts, and you love seeing around corners and connecting dots
- You're solutions-oriented, are biased towards action and impact, and see problems as opportunities and take the initiative to make changes and improvements
- You're highly collaborative and are dedicated to developing strong relationships with key business partners
- You have exceptional verbal and interpersonal communication skills and can simplify legal concepts and communicate them in easy-to-understand language
- You pay attention to the smallest detail without losing sight of the big picture
- There is no task too big or too small for you; you can roll up your sleeves and get things done
- You exhibit genuine curiosity, are passionate about your work, and enjoy a fast-paced working environment
- You're humble with low-ego, have a strong desire to grow and learn, and have a deep commitment to your teammates
- Plaid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion or religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, military or veteran status, disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Plaid is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance with your application or interviews due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
Company name: Plaid
Remote job title: Product Counsel