Remote job description
At Plaid, our mission is to unlock financial freedom for everyone. There has never been a better time than now to start building the future of fintech with us. Plaid powers the tools millions of people rely on to live a healthier financial life. We work with thousands of companies like Venmo and SoFi, several of the Fortune 500, and many of the largest banks to make it easy for people to connect their financial accounts to the apps and services they want to use. Plaid's network covers 11,000 financial institutions across the US, Canada, UK and Europe. Founded in 2013, the company is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York, Salt Lake City, Washington D.C., London and Amsterdam.
The Policy, Risk and Legal ("PRL") team at Plaid works at the intersection of technology and financial services on disruptive innovations that require creative and pragmatic legal solutions. We deal with novel issues every day and work collaboratively across Plaid's product, business, operations, risk and policy teams, as well as with our customers and partners.
The PRL team is looking for a Corporate Counsel to focus on our M&A and strategic investment transactions. In this position, you will partner with existing PRL and Corporate Legal team members and with the Plaid corporate development and corporate venture capital teams. You will manage all aspects of complex strategic transactions, including working with external counsel and a diverse group of internal stakeholders through diligence, negotiation, drafting and closing. You will be a strategic advisor to key stakeholders across the company and bring a business-oriented, practical mindset to solving problems and closing transactions.
What Excites You:
- Serving as the primary attorney on global M&A and other strategic investments and transactions to provide advice both individually and in collaboration with external counsel
- Independently supporting all phases of deals including drafting and negotiating term sheets, merger agreements and ancillary documents, managing the diligence process and other deal mechanics, including closings and post-closing matters
- Working closely with internal business partners to help achieve their business objectives
- Developing an understanding of deal rationale, synergies, assumptions and drivers to tailor due diligence, identify legal risks to achieving the business case, and develop mitigation strategies
- Partnering with global cross-functional internal legal and compliance teams on various specialty areas and other corporate legal projects
- Designing, building, and improving legal department processes as we scale
What Excites Us:
- 5+ years of experience in legal practice, including 4+ years in a nationally recognized law firm and with substantial relevant experience, including M&A and venture financings
- Experience working on fintech, financial services, or related matters
- Proven ability to professionally prioritize and manage a number of competing work streams on tight timelines with a high attention to detail
- Excellent writing, oral communication, and organizational skills
- Excellent judgment; confidence balanced with humility and a growth mindset
- Proven ability to spot issues and propose appropriate solutions
- JD from an accredited law school and membership in at least one US state bar
- Plaid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion or religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, military or veteran status, disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Plaid is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance with your application or interviews due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
- Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
Company name: Plaid
Remote job title: Corporate Counsel