VP of Engineering
About UsSOCi is an award-winning all-in-one local marketing platform built specifically for "next-level" multi-location marketers. Our customers include top brands and influencers like Ace Hardware, Sport Clips, and Anytime Fitness who have the impossible challenge of managing their digital presence across hundreds and thousands of locations. The SOCi platform empowers local management of the entire customer journey across multiple mediums including local business listings, social, reviews, listening, ads, bots, and more. As the central command for multi-location marketers, SOCi makes the impossible possible by enabling top brands and their locations to strengthen and scale their digital presence across limitless local search and social pages while protecting what matters most, their reputation.
Our accolades include:
- Inc. 5000 honoree three years in a row for Fastest Growing Companies in America
- Entrepreneur magazine's #1 Marketing Provider for Franchises, and top provider three years in a row
- Front Runner for Gartner's SoftwareAdvice.com in Reputation Management
- Top 100 rank on Financial Times The Americas' Fastest Growing Companies 2020
VP of Engineering
As a VP of Engineering in SOCi, you will report to the CTO, and will be overseeing the entire Engineering function, working closely with your counterparts in Product Management and Design to deliver valuable products to our customers. You will be overseeing a number of engineering managers, guiding, coaching, and holding them accountable for their responsibilities; you are keenly aware of any issues happening in the engineering organization, and are proactively working at resolving and preventing them in the future.
You ensure that every member of the engineering department is partnering strongly with their respective counterparts in Product and Design, to form cross-functional Empowered Product Teams. You understand the difference between mercenary and missionary engineering teams, and set the direction at the top to ensure the latter is happening throughout the organization. You’ve learned about the costs of top-down, command-and-control leadership and abhor it, instead aspiring to be a Servant Leader. You know how to create accountability in the organization, and how to mentor your managers to do the same. You value learning above everything else, and expect that from your teams. You quickly recognize waste and inefficiencies in the organization and eliminate them on sight.
In SOCi, we move fast. You are always able to balance handling the barrage of tactical day-to-day problems while holding a strategic vision in mind and moving towards that. As a member of a rapidly growing organization, your job responsibilities evolve every 6 months, and you’re continually investing in your own skills to take on the new challenges.
- 10+ years in hands-on senior / principal level engineering roles
- 10+ years in developing enterprise grade SaaS platforms
- 5+ years in managing individual engineers directly
- 5+ years in managing engineering managers (50+ person engineering dept.)
- Established track record of mentoring engineering managers
- Experience scaling and managing all-remote, global engineering teams
- Deep understanding of Lean, Theory of Constraints and Systems Thinking
- Good understanding of Product Management and Design functions, and the application of Lean principles in the entire product development lifecycle
- Develop, maintain and enforce core engineering principles and KPIs for the department
- Develop, maintain and enforce department processes (e.g. 360s, “mob” programming, retros, etc)
- Develop quarterly roadmaps with CTO, VP of Product, CEO, and your engineering managers, and oversee the timely execution of them
- Monitor, identify, communicate and remedy risks in ongoing projects
- Review technical approaches the engineering managers are taking and ensure most effective execution of projects
- Evaluate and eliminate waste and inefficiencies through process improvement and technology strategies
- Mentor and guide your engineering managers and directors on an ongoing basis
- Grow and attract new managerial talent from within and outside the organization
- Develop a strong partnership with Product, Design, Customer Success and Sales to collectively drive towards the company objectives
- Manage the budgets for both personnel as well as the technology stack
What's SOCi's culture like?
SOCi stands for Selfless, Overachievers, Customer Centric, and Innovative. We strive to be in service to each other, consider learning as Job #1, and obsess over the customer problems such that we can deliver most valuable solutions to them. We hold each other accountable, are candid in our feedback, and expect you to do the same. It's okay to make mistakes, it's not okay to not learn from them. We partner strongly across departments and function, as we know it'll take a village to succeed. One team, one dream.
SOCi is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
VP of Engineering