Tax Manager Sales & Use Tax
Remote job description
At Fonoa, we are transforming how digital-first companies stay tax compliant. We provide simple and modular API solutions that easily integrate into any existing workflow. Through our technology first approach, we reduce manual processes, increase compliance and reduce the cost of operations when transacting and scaling internationally.
We are solving one of the largest yet unsolved problems in global e-commerce. Our tax automation software enables companies such as Uber, Zoom, Lime, Booking.com, GoStudent, and Teachable to expand their international offerings more quickly and stay tax compliant.
As a Tax Manager (US Sales and Use Tax), your role will be to drive the expansion of our world-class tax engine to the US. You will undertake tax technical research, define problems, experiment to find ideal solutions and work on the product features and roadmap. You will have the chance to work closely with product managers, engineers, other tax peers and commercial teams.
We are looking for someone with 7+ years of US Sales and Use Tax experience, dealing with multiple states.We're on a mission to eliminate manual work when dealing with taxes on online transactions. Our software platform allows companies to get started and automate tax determination within days. Using Fonoa makes it easier and faster for companies to scale across different markets by bringing down complexity and ensuring the accuracy of tax calculations.
What you will be doing:
- Work across teams and functions to expand our world-class tax determination solution to the US
- Provide support for tax engine feature launches for the US.
- Act as the go-to US indirect tax specialist for internal stakeholders.
- Perform technical research to understand US indirect tax requirements and how they translate into Fonoa's tax determination product.
- Document tax research and summarize findings in a clear and concise way that makes the information understandable to non-tax specialists.
- Help our tax intelligence team evaluate, maintain and write tax content for the tax determination product to ensure our product and systems are meeting the highest tax technical and content standards.
- Process research and communicate content to a wide range of stakeholders (clients, project managers, tax product teams) in a way that is tailored to their specific needs.
- Support user research, and participate in user interviews with your knowledge and expertise to identify technical customer pain points.
- Support marketing and sales teams by providing indirect tax insights for prospective and existing clients.
- Support in the training and dissemination of your knowledge both internally and externally.
- Collaborate with product managers and engineers to optimize our tax determination product and ensure that it satisfies client needs and expectations.
- Suggest concrete actions stemming from your experience and research particularly if changes are required or if opportunities should be researched for additional product offerings.
- Be ready and eager to take on additional responsibilities early on.
You would be a great fit if you have:
- Have at least 7 years of experience with US Sales and Use Tax, including practical experience managing US Sales and Use Tax across states in an in-house position (tax calculations, filing, and remittance)
- Have experience of work in industry (digital services, marketplace and/or e-commerce experience is a big bonus)
- Have experience with tax engines and / or homegrown tax calculation tools (experience implementing a tax engine or building tax technology solutions for US Sales and Use Tax is a big bonus)
- Have had hands-on experience providing input into the design and rollout of tax products
- Knowledge of communication taxes is a plus
- Have a strong attention to detail and analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Experienced the work environment at a fast-growing international organization
- Are curious, and like to solve problems, turning complex problems into simple solutions
- Are self-directed and capable to work autonomously
- Experienced the pain points in indirect taxes as they relate to the distribution of digital services and passionate about tax technology and innovation
- Are able to research and communicate technical tax issues clearly to non-tax team members and work effectively across all functional teams
- Have full professional proficiency in English, written and spoken
If you feel you don't have the full experience we're looking for but feel you could be a bit fit, are willing to learn, do apply anyway! We are trying to build a diverse and inclusive team.
We enable companies worldwide to seamlessly handle their taxes when transacting online by providing outstanding products that automate their workflows. To build exceptional products, we are aware that we need great people. We offer a competitive, above-market rate base salary for this position and remain open to a specific range depending on candidates' experience. Also, we provide attractive equity to keep everyone positively incentivized.
As a remote-first company, we have a distributed team in more than 35 countries worldwide. We're a company filled with talented, energetic, and motivated people from all backgrounds who bring in their different perspectives to help us on our mission to make taxes simple. Please find out how we live our values and what inspires us to do amazing things together: https://fonoa.co/LifeAtFonoa
Sounds interesting? Please learn more reasons why you should join us.
Company name: Fonoa
Remote job title: Tax Manager Sales & Use Tax
Job tags: saas, business services, legal, payment gateway