Remote job description
Alan is the one-stop health partner for the body & the mind.
- Founded in 2016 by Jean-Charles Samuelian and Charles Gorintin, Alan is the first digital health insurance in France since 1986.
- Alan's long-term goal is to make personal, proactive and holistic health part of people's daily life, striving to be the world's most member-centric healthcare company.
As of today, Alan covers more than 300,000 members, representing over ?160m+ of annualized revenue. We recently raised a further ?183m in a series E funding round bringing the company's total valuation to ?2.7bn. The team is 500+ people and growing. We are also operating in Spain and Belgium , and guess what: the best is yet to come!
How we do it?
At Alan, we have a set of cultural values that guide our approach to work such as:
- Members first. We put our members first, our team second, our shareholders third.
- Radical Transparency. We take all our decisions in writing and adopt a direct and honest style of communication.
- Personal & Team Growth. We are self-improving whilst helping others grow. We're no ego-doers and we all edit the company.
- Underrepresented folks...
Science shows that you are less likely to apply if you feel you don't have all the necessary prerequisites. If this description matches where you are now or what you'd like to grow into in your next position, we encourage you to apply.
We strive to make our culture as inclusive as possible and believe both the company and its culture are strongest when composed of diverse experiences and backgrounds.
- We have an open salary & equity policy combined with a transparent career path: we base our people decisions on objective criteria.
- We have flexible working hours and leave policy.
- We trust people to work remotely
- We extended the length of parental leave and value this time as professional experience.
- We respect our coworkers gender identity and use their names, pronouns and agreements no matter their legal status.
Alan is on a mission to transform healthcare. In the Finance team, we also think out of the box and with automated and optimised processes.
We are looking for :
- A 4-6 years experience profile
- with strong knowledge in both accounting and financial planning
- with basic knowledge in SQL
- Build and deploy a financial organisation at the company level to track the activity of each of our new subsidiaries depending on their activities. Build a consolidation process and own the production of consolidated figures.
- Own and ensure our accounts are closed in a timely manner in France, international markets (Spain, Belgium and others in the future), and new entities.
- Produce on-time, reliable financial information to comply with our legal obligations (shareholders, tax administration, regulator, etc.), produce financial communication and reporting, interact with our tech and financial auditors.
- Take part in the preparation of the business plans and the development and structuring of the Financial planning and analysis monitoring. Contribute to the day-to-day administrative tasks.
Key outcomes by 1 year
- We have restructured our financial organisation to comply with our new corporate structure and their activities (7 entities in a consolidated structure vs 3 unconsolidated entities currently)
- We are able to produce consolidated financial accounts at D+7 on a monthly basis
- We are able to build our monthly financial report at D+7
- We are able to report under IFRS (we currently only report under French GAAP)
- We are able to monitor our accounts vs our budget on a rolling basis
Profile & competencies
- Good knowledge of French accounting and IFRS.
- Knowledge of insurance accounting would be a significant plus.
Basic knowledge of SQL.
Soft skills/ Behavioural traits
- We handle topics that involve numerous stakeholders and that are vital to the company. We are therefore looking for someone able to
- Take ownership of concrete topics and drive them from start to finish
- Know when to involve additional stakeholders for input and support
The Finance team is small (6 people) and efficient. We are looking for a highly motivated individual who can balance and prioritise between different stakeholders both within the team and various external stakeholders.
Out of the box thinking
We don't do things one way because everyone does it that way. We always try to take a step back and think about how we can do things differently, better.
We often handle topics with tight deadlines and/or where multiple stakeholders are involved. Overcommunication, in a written and asynchronous manner, is essential to succeeding at Alan.
- I graduated from one of the top engineering (eg. X, Mines Paris, Centrale-Sup?lec, ENSAE, Ponts, Telecom Paris) or business (eg. HEC, Essec, ESCP, EDHEC, Dauphine, EM Lyon) schools
- I started my career in a leading audit firm (eg. KPMG, PwC, Deloitte, EY, Mazars) where I built a strong background in accounting and corporate finance.
- Having an insurance specialty would be a plus.
- I worked in the financial department of a Next40 Startup where I owned the structuration of the financial processes in a fast-growing environment.
- Perks & Benefits
At Alan, we believe that being in good health is a basic need, and it starts with our employees. This is why Alaners are provided with a stimulating environment and perks for them to be happy, efficient and spend only high-quality time with co-workers.
Therefore, we offer:
- Flexible Office. Amazing office space in the headquarters, sponsored co-working hubs or a full-remote experience for those who want, with home office equipment sponsorship.
- We reward fairly. Generous equity packages are completing your base salary.
- All the tools you need. Top of the range equipment: Macbook Pro, keyboard, laptop stand, monitor, and Bose noise-cancelling headphones
- Flexible vacation policy. Alaners can organize their time off as they wish.
- Delightful healthcare insurance. Extremely comprehensive health insurance - 100% of the contribution covered by Alan for you and your family.
- Transport. Country-specific commuter benefits
- Learning & Training opportunities. A very flexible Training policy at Alan, free books and budget to attend and speak at conferences if the opportunity arises
- Parental leave. Extended parental leave for all new parents.
Company name: Alan
Remote job title: Financial Controller
Job tags: insurance premiums, fintech, insurance, medical services