Site Reliability Engineer Azure/Windows/Linux
Remote job description
Stack Overflow is growing fast, and our infrastructure needs just keep getting bigger. We're looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to join our existing team of SREs and devs and help us grow the Microsoft Azure side of our infrastructure. As an SRE, you'll bring a DevOps mindset to system administration, always looking for ways to automate manual work and create repeatable, scalable systems and processes.
We're looking for someone with experience in a .NET ecosystem in a Azure environment (or general Windows Server / IIS experience), but we don't expect you to know every other part of our stack coming in, so we'll pair you with other members of the team to learn and develop your skills across our entire infrastructure (including our non-cloud stackoverflow.com infrastructure). We are a mixed Windows and Linux environment and expect this role to be strong in Windows but learn Linux as we move more infrastructure to it. Experience with Networking/VPN, Elasticsearch, Redis, Azure Pipelines, Terraform are a plus, but we're happy to train you.
What you'll work on:
- Help one of our newest products, hosted Stack Overflow Enterprise, grow to its first 1,000 customers and million users
- Continuously improve and refine deployment/updates of Stack Overflow Enterprise instances on Azure through automation
- Work to improve our monitoring and alerting strategy for cloud solutions
- Work to improve our security patching and compliance strategy for cloud solutions
- Configuring point-to-point VPNs to larger customers
- Participate in our on-call rotation (typically 1 week out of 4) with very few after-hours pages
Our ecosystem includes:
- Microsoft Azure (Azure SQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Azure Automation, Azure AD)
- Windows Server 2016 and IIS and .NET Core
- Linux (we use CentOS)
- Terraform / Go
- Our toolchain includes: Git, GitHub Enterprise, TeamCity (CI), CentOS Linux, Puppet, .NET/C#, Elasticsearch, Redis, OctopusDeploy
- In the future: Containers and Kubernetes
Skills & Requirements
We're looking for:
- 3+ years of Windows Server experience (WS2016 and WS2019)
- 3+ years of Azure experience or equivalent Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, etc.
- PowerShell experience, and a developer's mindset towards system administration (always looking to automate manual tasks)
- Strong written communication skills and a strong inclination to "document as you go, not at the end of the project"
- Linux experience in a mixed environment (we use mainly CentOS)
- Some Microsoft SQL Server experience (Azure SQL a plus) or other SQL experience
- Basic familiarity with: Networking, DNS, SSL certificates
We like to see:
- Deep experience with Azure administration, debugging, and API use
- PowerShell expertise
- Knowledge of programming beyond scripting (we use mainly C# and Go)
- Experience working both on a team and on independent projects
- Great communication and people skills
- Also note: If this job interests you but you aren't certain if you meet all of the requirements, apply anyway!
What you'll get in return:
In the United States, benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (12-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
We're a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening June 2021 at the earliest due to COVID-19), you'll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams). While we're generally very flexible on working hours, living and working within GMT-7:00 to GMT+2:00 time zones (US through Europe) is required for scheduling and interaction with your team. We also believe in a strong work-life balance and are focused on making sure you have a positive work experience, in-office or remotely.
If you want to work remotely…. We'll reimburse you up to $2,000 USD to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You'll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
- Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
- Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Overflow does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.Summary
Company: Stack Exchange
Job title: Site Reliability Engineer - Azure/Windows/Linux
Job tags: advertising, business services, labour, media, recruitment