Site Reliability Engineer
Remote job description
We are a tight-knit group with diverse backgrounds who value our culture. Individually, we strive to be humble, hungry, and people-smart. As a team, we put learners first. We share before we are ready, ask clarifying questions, highlight what's working, have difficult conversations, get agreements, and make time for life. These aren't just slogans we put on the wall. We love and live by our culture.
Lessonly is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to help build and manage our architecture and automated processes. You will empower our developers and testers to do better work while making our software perform reliably.
We are hiring a software engineer dedicated to analyzing and improving the performance of our software, automating our processes, improving our application security, and working on the application architecture. We need someone who can work in the software and has a penchant for hosting and infrastructure.
Candidates for this role will be most successful if they have a desire to grow in our entire stack but specialize immediately in the back end and infrastructure. Specifically, a love for Ruby on Rails, AWS, and automation will take you a long way!
Roles & Responsibilities
- Software Engineer (40-50%)
- You are not afraid to dive into the application code to implement architectural changes, improve data querying, or implement new patterns.
- You build tools to help manage our environments and to help other departments manage their clients' data.
- You provide valuable feedback in code reviews to help keep our code clean, maintainable, and reliable.
- We are looking for someone who has the ability not only to help us automate our infrastructure, but to help us ensure the software serves that infrastructure well.
- Desired Abilities
- Experience building web applications in Ruby on Rails.
- Design and build tools to connect data from various environments for analysis and control.
- Implement changes to web software in service of improving performance, security, and reliability.
- Review pull requests by other software engineers, especially in consideration of performance, security, and reliability, keeping in mind that we prefer to critique with empathy.
- Automation Engineer (30-40%)
- You identify manual processes that could be automated and build the tools to automate them. You monitor those processes to ensure they continue to work as intended.
- You work with other teams to assess their automation needs and help them build the tools they need to do better work.
- Desired Abilities
- Build and maintain tools to automate internal processes relating to deployment and testing.
- Infrastructure Engineer (10-20%)
- You build and manage the AWS-based infrastructure for our various applications and instances of our core service.
- You keep our software running and continually make that job easier to do as you go by automating as much as possible.
- We host private instances of our core application for our larger customers. You help make creating and managing those instances seamless and easy for engineers, client experience reps, and the customers themselves.
- As a part of your commitment to keeping the services running, you are a member of the on-call rotation. In order to keep the on-call rotation from being a burden, you help ensure the software is built to be reliable.
- Desired Abilities
- Experience managing SaaS infrastructure using Kubernetes and Terraform.
- Experience monitoring web environments using Datadog, Grafana, Kibana, or similar tools.
- Ability to quickly assess and remediate infrastructure, database, and software issues affecting live environments.
- Experience tuning and maintaining PostgreSQL databases.
- Health Insurance - Medical, vision, dental, and life plans available.
- Disability Insurance - Short-term and long-term coverage.
- Paid Parental Leave - Because time with your new baby llama is important.
- Unlimited PTO - We believe in making time for life, so we like to keep this benefit simple.
- 401k Plan - Save and prepare for the future with us.
- Equity - When we win as a team, you should win, too.
- Flexibility - What works best for you, works for us—whether that means you're in the office, at a coffee shop, or at your kitchen table. We have llamas working in Indy and across the U.S. We also provide everyone with a tech stipend to keep their tech rocking and rolling smoothly.
- Work Happier - Our community is one of recognition and fun. From company-wide shoutouts to dogs in the office to our vibrant Slack workspace, we're constantly collaborating and celebrating together.
Job title: Site Reliability Engineer at Lessonly () (allows remote)
Job tags: ruby on rails, automation, aws, sql