Senior DevOps Engineer
Zyte (formerly Scrapinghub)
Remote job description
About the Job
As a DevOps engineer you'll work closely with developers to make their lives easier through creating automations, your goal is to empower the developers to provide business value and handle everything around running, deploying and upgrading the application.
We are looking for a DevOps engineer to join our Infrastructure team to help scale, improve and maintain our technology stack which includes Kubernetes, Apache Mesos, Hadoop/HBase, Kafka, ELK, Prometheus/Grafana and many more.
We are responsible for all the underlying infrastructure our products run on, from clusters hosted on Cloud hosting providers to rented bare metal servers on prem, one of our largest clusters contains more than 140 worker nodes so automation and tooling to support/maintain it is a must.
Open Source is in our DNA and we embrace it as much as possible within our toolkit.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Own assigned trouble cases, managing and keeping up with all cases assigned, follow up and resolve cases in accordance with SLAs
- Write tools and scripts to provide automation and self service solutions for ourselves and other teams
- Design and maintain new systems to support production services
- Creatively solve scalability challenges on a rapidly expanding cloud environment
- Help improve monitoring and identify key performance metrics
- Proactive Research and Development - discovering and implementing new tools, emerging technology, etc.
- Design, implement and maintain disaster recovery system
- Troubleshooting and resolution of server/network and application issues
- Proactively ensure service runs with minimal interruptions
- 6+ years experience working as a Linux administrator/engineer at reasonable scale (dozens of systems) and designing/deploying ?highly available' solutions
- Experience with Configuration Management systems such as SaltStack or Ansible.
- Solid experience in Linux troubleshooting, tuning, profiling, and monitoring
- Skills in the following programming language: Python (a must) and Bash/Shell scripting.
- Experience running microservice applications on containers.
- Solid understanding of network protocols like TCP/IP, HTTP, TLS, firewalls, VLANs, DNS.
- Experience with Kafka, Docker, Mesos and Kubernetes is preferred.
- Understanding of load balancing and reverse proxying techniques.
- Highly organized, able to multitask, able to work individually, as well as within a team, and across teams
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Familiarity with software engineering practices, including n-tier architecture, configuration management, development methodologies (e.g. agile, waterfall, spiral, prototyping), etc.
- Flexibility around working hours - if there is an issue you should use your initiative and help resolve it.
- Maintaining and respecting confidentiality of large amounts of information you have access to.
Company name: Zyte (formerly Scrapinghub)
Remote job title: Senior DevOps Engineer at Zyte (formerly Scrapinghub) () (allows remote)
Job tags: linux, cloud, devops, python