Manager, Product Design
Remote job description
Figma is growing our team of passionate people on a mission to make design accessible to all. Born on the Web, Figma helps entire product teams brainstorm, create, test, and ship better designs, together. From great products to long-lasting companies, we believe that nothing great is made alone-come make with us!
We're looking for our next Design Manager to lead a growing team of four talented designers focusing on the Figma Editor and Design Systems. These are some of our highest-potential product areas - filled with projects that reach millions of customers and zero-to-one exploratory bets. It's a huge opportunity to help influence the future of how designers work together, and to keep building a world-class design team. We work in a highly collaborative environment, where most projects are owned by small groups of a few people. We strive to foster a positive, inclusive culture.
This is a full-time role that can be held from one of our US hubs or remotely in the continental United States.
What you'll do at Figma:
- Manage four experienced designers in product areas that include Figma Design Systems features, Prototyping, and developer handoff. Hire at least one more in 2022.
- Maintain weekly 1:1s, career growth conversation opportunities, and any other meeting cadences that help you understand how your reports are doing and how to support them. Provide regular feedback during 1:1s and on Slack, and formally during performance reviews
- Cultivate a conducive environment for phenomenal design by helping with team processes like critiques, team meetings, warm ups, and other rituals
- Identify opportunities to improve how we work and the relationships both within and outside of the team.
- Help the team up-level their sense of product strategy. Consider frameworks and tools to ensure the team is all thinking deeply about the "why" behind their work. Guide people to ensure projects are on a healthy path, in some cases using storytelling yourself to craft clear narratives of where projects could go.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- 3+ years of people management experience
- Passion for effective mentoring and coaching; you should love to help others grow!
- Experience working on a technical and complex projects and fostering close collaboration with engineering
- Experience leading operations of a design team (e.g. critiques, team processes, etc.)
- Aptitude for strategic thinking and communication and the ability to influence teams
- Appetite and experience to build well-crafted tools that solve people's problems
- Interest in taking risks with new and exciting methodologies and ideas and dissatisfaction with the status quo
At Figma, one of our values is "Grow as you go." We believe in hiring smart, curious people who are excited to learn and develop their skills. If you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with the points outlined in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Read more about our team:
- Figma's Series D Round!
- How work is changing at Figma
- Dylan Field: This Week In Startups
- Our Design Team Process (May 2020)
- Our Design Principles (Apr 2020)
- Design Critiques at Figma (Sept 2019)
- How we built the Design Team (Dec 2018)
- Figma Musical! (Quarantine edition)
We will work to ensure individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let your recruiter know if you require accommodation.
Dylan Field and Evan Wallace co-founded Figma in 2012 with the vision of building tools for designers in the browser. Their goal was to create the first design tool that combined the accessibility of the Web with the functionality of a native app. Today Figma is a platform with tools and spaces to support the entire product development process-idea to design to build-and has simplified collaboration for companies like Microsoft, Uber, and The New York Times to name a few.
At Figma, we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, products, and community to flourish. Figma is an equal opportunity workplace-we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Company name: Figma
Remote job title: Manager, Product Design
Job tags: saas / subscription, freemium, design, mobile, photos, software