Associate Creative Director, Interactive Design
Remote job description
At Retool, we're changing the way software is built. We've developed the fastest way to build internal tools, saving companies time, resources, and engineering bandwidth. Whether it's refunding orders, underwriting loans, managing marketplaces, rolling out new features, analyzing transactions, or providing customer support, Retool makes it dramatically faster and easier to build internal tools that teams need. We believe that the future of software development lies in being a force multiplier for developers and technical builders, helping them move considerably faster building a lot more software. We're looking for highly collaborative people as we build a world-class team to support this mission and we'd love for you to join us!
DESIGN AT RETOOL
Retool designers make decisions that will affect millions of people, from the developers creating software to the employees who operate it every day. Instead of designing just one product, we're effectively designing unique software products for thousands of companies across many different verticals.
This also presents a unique design challenge. Because it's possible to build nearly anything in Retool, we don't have absolute control over how our users experience the product. We're constantly seeking just the right balance between convention and configuration, between technical expressiveness and conceptual simplicity.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our website is critical to Retool's success: it's the first impression of Retool for millions of visitors, and a trusted companion for customers as they learn the product. As an Associate Creative Director you will play a key role in the creative direction of everything from our website, to the blog, documentation, community, mini-sites, and more. You'll provide an expert level of craft in your individual work to set a quality bar in fostering the development of other individuals on the team. Our goal is not to build another cookie-cutter enterprise SaaS website: we aspire to win the hearts and minds of developers?"and set the bar for the industry in the process. This position sits within our newly formed Brand Design team and will play an important part in designing the foundations of how the Retool brand is shaped and building out the Interactive Design discipline at scale.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU'LL:
- Partner with design, marketing, engineering and product to create an extraordinary web experience for retool.com?"from launching new products to pioneering groundbreaking forms of web content
- Work with the interaction design team to establish and maintain a flexible design system for Retool's web experience
- Mentor other designers to support the development of their work and personal career growth, with the aim and desire to manage a small team
- Partner with Design Leadership on team-wide initiatives, building and upholding a strong design culture, recruiting efforts and developing design principles
- Collaborate closely with engineers to create beautiful, rich interactive experiences that blur the line between learning about Retool and actually using it?"from launching new products to pioneering groundbreaking forms of web content
- Act as a champion for the brand and how design is applied globally
- Develop a unique point of view on designing for web, prototyping designs and testing your concepts against defined objectives at scale
- Play a significant role in the evolution of our brand, voice, and strategy as Retool grows as a company and product
- Be an active participant in design at Retool, providing thoughtful feedback across design and product teams in critiques, reviews, and more
THE SKILLSET YOU'LL BRING:
- 8+ years of experience in visual design for web
- Strong communication skills and the ability to confidently present the work of your team to cross functional partners and leadership with confidence
- Experience and understanding of the formal elements of graphic design?"not just limited to the web?"including typography, color, layout, and composition.
- Passion for the web as a medium, demonstrable through a portfolio of well-crafted work on interactive sites, design systems, data visualization, or similar.
- Strong grasp of interface-design skills and advanced knowledge of modern HTML and CSS?"understanding of the impact of motion, viewport sizes, etc. and how it affects engineers crafting the web experience
- A curiosity to stay educated on the latest web design technologies and techniques, tempered by a desire to establish an original, opinionated style?"not follow trends.
- A track record of successfully collaborating with design, marketing, and engineering partners to translate product needs, marketing insights, and technical constraints into informed design decisions.
- An ability to manage many simultaneous projects, independently prioritize work based on stakeholder needs and business goals, and thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth startup environment.
- A proactive, self-starter work ethic with the ability to operate independently within a small team; Thoughtful, empathetic and creative.
OUR U.S. BENEFITS:
- Generous medical, dental and vision benefits
- 401(K) plan enrollment and matching up to an effective rate of 4%
- Paid company holidays and unlimited time off; take what you need!
- Annual continuing education stipend
- Paid parental leave and family planning support
- Wellness benefits including mental health, meditation support, OneMedical membership
Company name: Retool
Remote job title: Associate Creative Director, Interactive Design
Job tags: Visual Design, User Interface Design, marketing