Remote job description
Apollo.io is the leading go-to-market solution for revenue teams, trusted by over 500,000 companies and millions of users globally, from rapidly growing startups to some of the world's largest enterprises. Apollo.io provides sales and marketing teams with easy access to verified contact data for over 270 million B2B contacts, along with tools to engage and convert these contacts in one unified platform. By helping revenue professionals find the most accurate contact information and automating the outreach process, Apollo.io turns prospects into customers. Apollo raised a series D in 2023 and is backed by top-tier investors, including Sequoia Capital, Bain Capital Ventures, and more, and counts the former President and COO of Hubspot, JD Sherman, among its board members. Apollo.io is growing rapidly, with 900% revenue growth since 2021, and is looking for world-class talent to keep building with us.
As a Product Counsel you will play a crucial role in shaping and implementing our product review and privacy strategy and ensuring that our practices align with global legal requirements and industry best practices. You will be among the founding members of the Legal team, helping to develop and operationalize key processes and systems. The ideal candidate will be a builder at their core and relish bringing together cross-functional stakeholders to drive key initiatives.
This is a 100% remote position (with the likelihood of optional travel to team and/or industry events) and will report to our Associate General Counsel, Product & Privacy.
What you'll be doing:
- Partner with the product, engineering, design, and marketing teams to proactively support them throughout the product development life cycle
- Help build and participate in scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of new products
- Provide education and guidance to the product and engineering teams to understand and proactively anticipate legal issues regarding product development, including privacy issues and legal requirements.
- Maintain subject matter expertise on domestic and international privacy laws, consumer protection laws, intellectual property laws and other laws and regulations applicable to Apollo's products and advise teams across the company on the evolving legal landscape
- Gather, lead and drive completion of product legal OKRs among cross-functional teams, which may include product updates or reviews, policy revisions and launches, operational, process or system enhancements, metrics gathering, and more
- Partner with the Security team to implement best practices for management and protection of confidential and personal information and to develop appropriate policies for Apollo
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of agreements related to data privacy and the Apollo products, including vendor agreements, customer agreements, DPAs, and partner agreements
- Assist with the continuous improvement of documentation, standard agreements and playbooks and scale legal operations and processes
- Support the general needs of a growing legal team and business
What we're looking for:
- 4+ years of privacy/product counsel experience, and you have a mix of in-house and law firm experience
- A JD and active membership in at least one state bar
- Experience with privacy and data protection issues, including strong knowledge of global privacy laws, including the CCPA and the GDPR
- Broad experience with product counseling, including unrelated to privacy and data protection issues
- Self-starter who can handle a fast-paced and informal start-up environment where you may face ambiguity and need to manage several projects simultaneously
- Strong analytical skills and ability to assess and mitigate legal and privacy risks in a risk-adjusted and prioritized manner
- Exceptional communication, presentation, and stakeholder engagement skills, with a knack for persuasive written communication that reflects organized thinking and clear messaging across different audiences
- Ability to scale processes and procedures and experience working with stakeholders in a variety of geographic locations and at all hierarchy levels of an organization
- A belief and practice that no task is too big or too small
- Self-initiative that drives a desire for impact and achievement
- A pragmatic approach to getting things done
- A sense of humor and above all else, a positive attitude
Preferred, but not required:
- Professional privacy certification in at least one area (i.e. CIPP/US, CIPP/E, CIPM, CIPT)
- A desire to leverage data to drive decision making
- Experience working at a B2B SaaS company, especially in a fast-paced, high growth environment
What You'll Love About Apollo
Besides the great compensation package and culture that thrives in openness and excellence, we invest tremendous effort into developing our remote employees' careers. The team embraces that we have a sole purpose: to help customers maximize their full revenue potential on the Apollo platform. This mindset opens us up to a lot of creative approaches to making customers successful at scale. You'll be a significant part of a lean, remote team, empowered to really own your role as a proactive educator. We're very collaborative at Apollo, so you'll be able to lean on your teammates, even in adjacent departments, to help you achieve lofty goals. You'll be supported and encouraged to experiment and take educated risks that lead to big wins. And, you'll have a whole team remotely by your side to help you do it!
Company name: Apollo
Remote job title: Product Counsel
Job tags: GDPR, Stakeholder Engagement, privacy