Director, Data Engineering
Remote job description
BEGiN has a newly created opportunity for a Director, Data Engineering to join our growing team! Remote work is absolutely an option, however the role requires working New York hours.
HOMER, a BEGiN brand, is the proven early learning program that provides the best educational start possible. We offer personalized, fun, and proven learning products for kids ages 0-10 to help build confidence, mastery, and a love of learning. We are deeply committed to our members and to their children, and we are building a creative and strategic team to develop a portfolio of early learning products that support learning everywhere.
Reporting into our VP, Data and Insights, the HOMER Director, Data Engineering will be helping advance the data platform and creating data pipelines that are pivotal to analytics, data science, and reporting across the organization.
- You will work to develop project plans, manage a team of data engineers, help develop all deliverables for a project, architect new solutions, and manage a roadmap of all data engineering projects
- Create and maintain a true team culture
- Own efficacy and quality for data pipelines and ETL processes across the organization
- Develop, maintain, and improve tools to enable team members to rapidly consume and understand data
- Design and architect scalable infrastructure to build, train, and deploy machine learning models, ETL, and CI/CD with an eye on efficiency
- Work closely with the business stakeholders, data scientists/analysts, and our engineering team to translate requirements into deliverable products
- Develop and execute the strategy for infrastructure to support the business while optimizing performance and minimizing cost
- Manage and prioritize the data engineering backlog, ensuring requirements are well defined and understood by the development team
- Partner with stakeholders and engineering teams to deliver solutions in an iterative and incremental manner, leveraging lean and agile principles, fostering an environment of learning and collaboration
- Ensure that our applications and operational data remain in synch and all integrations are flowing with no data errors
- Provide guidance and support to sourcing, establishing data definitions, documenting data quality issues and assist with data cleansing
- Provide guidance and expertise on data validation at the point of entry to enhance data quality and drive adoption of best practices
- Lead root cause analysis, prioritize and manage data quality and remediation, and ensure data integrity to all downstream data systems
- Support the built out of the Data Dictionary and ensure that it is updated as needed based on business definitions.
- You will be an expert on understanding how data is collected, maintained, and interpreted and be knowledgeable on the official sources of data in scope to address use case requirements and business needs
- Deep understanding of spark, SDLC, coding best practices, Github, python, and PySpark
- Architecture experience in AWS
- Previous hands on experience with reporting, data analytics, data engineering, data science, or business intelligence
- At least five years experience in leading and managing teams, working with stakeholders and senior leadership across an organization, and helping to develop solutions that meet organization needs in a timely manner
- Superior independent project management skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong data management skills with a focus on database design, data quality management, and data analysis of large datasets, including hands-on-experience with SQL, no-SQL, and ETL software
- Prior experience with Delta lake and Databricks
- Prior experience with Snowflake
- Network infrastructure experience (VPCs)
- Knowledge/design of MLOPs
We like people who:
- Are open to suggestions, collaborative, and thrive in team environments
- Love and are willing to learn new technologies and styles
- Are scrappy, entrepreneurial with the ability to turnaround high-quality projects quickly without depending on a large team
What you'll get:
- HOMER offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits.
- Smart, passionate, and engaged co-workers.
- Excellent top-tier Medical/Dental/Vision benefits
- The chance to have a big impact, quickly
- The rare opportunity to make a dent in the universe. We're bringing a love of reading and learning to children globally!
- HOMER is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
At BEGiN, we are committed to building a diverse team of talented people who are passionate about creating educational content kids love. We believe in fostering a culture where productivity can flourish, one that is empathetic, respectful, and inclusive. At BEGiN, we know that diversity, equity, and inclusion aren't just an idea, a one-time initiative, or phrases to throw into a job post: they're a daily practice and an ongoing conversation. We survey our team about inclusivity, run training on DEI topics, and have a committee to ensure we are all continuing to learn and grow.
Company name: HomerLearning, Inc.
Remote job title: Director, Data Engineering at HomerLearning, Inc. () (allows remote)
Job tags: sdlc, pyspark, aws, sql, mysql