Vice President of Community Management
Remote job description
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
Additionally, Stack Exchange is a community of 170+ sites that cover topics from Parenting, to Dev Ops, to crypto, to role playing games. Our network of sites host over 100 millions unique users every month from all over the world that are working to establish the largest knowledge base of questions and answers that the world has ever seen.
We have a network of over 500 volunteer moderators who are dedicated to ensuring that the content on each of our sites is correct and easy to understand. They closely monitor our sites for things from duplicate questions to harassment to questionable grammar as they work to grow the sites that they have been elected to manage.
As the Vice President of Community Management, you collaboratively define, plan and execute our community strategy. You will be responsible for supporting, leading, working beside and mentoring the Community Managers that work with our millions of users across 172 sites. You and the team are the company's face to our users in our interactions across all of our public products. You will champion our company value of "Keeping Community at our Center" through your interactions with both our community and your colleagues. Your leadership will drive your team towards best in class solutions that guide them towards their KPIs and goals. You are someone that loves empowering Community teams to best support users, work collaboratively with internal stakeholders, and build the appropriate processes and policies to support our diverse user base.
What you'll do:
- Lead the Community Management teams in managing the current and future needs and experience of various segments of our user base.
- Work with Community Team leaders to establish, measure and achieve goals and objectives for their team and the overall group
- Identify and incorporate industry best practices in supporting a growing and thriving online community across many disciplines to help us achieve our goals and objectives.
- Partner with internal and external stakeholders to enable and extend knowledge and understanding of our community, it's goals and challenges.
- Empower the team to work hand in hand with our engineering and product teams in order to to build tools and features that help better meet our users needs and improve their journeys through our sites
- Manage the team through multiple projects ensuring they have all the resources and tools needed to meet their commitments
- Create opportunities for learnings, sharing, and career development opportunities for Community Managers on your team
What you'll need to have:
- 5+ years management experience leading a community facing team with millions of users
- 10+years in a community or user facing role within an organization
- Experience in customer and/or community support with an operational focus working towards continuous improvement of process and tools
- An understanding of Stack Overflow and other Stack Exchange network sites
- Experience building and implementing community facing strategy, policy and process
- Strong problem solving capability, from triage to identifying longer term solutions
- A desire/drive to work with technologists around topics that interest them
- Living and working within GMT-7:00 (US) to GMT+2:00 (Europe) time zones
What you'll get in return:
- Competitive base salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Flexible hours
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Transportation reimbursement
- Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products
Legally, we need you to know this: Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.Summary
Company: Stack Exchange
Job title: Vice President of Community Management
Job tags: advertising, business services, labour, media, recruitment