Data Operations Manager
Remote job description
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we're building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you're ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There's no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work - whether it's from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop - while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
At Instacart we solve for the customer. That extends beyond the hundreds of thousands of consumers who deliver groceries and to the many leading and emerging consumer packaged goods (CPG) advertisers that want to shape how consumers perceive, shop, and stay loyal to their brands. Instacart's Brand Partnerships team is focused on serving these clients through our native advertising platform and by providing custom reports to support internal data analytics.
We are looking for a Data Operations Manager - a specialist / expert in Retail data handling, ETL, Data Mining, Data Warehouse Design and Management, Scripting / Programming, Building efficient data pipelines, querying large volume of data to extract actionable analytical insights to join the Media/Advertising Analytics team within the Brand Partnership Universe, that is in the spotlight with focus to turn rich data into actionable insights.
This team is responsible for serving some of the largest advertisers in the world by helping them better understand and improve the performance of their multi-million-dollar media budgets. The DataOps team within Media Analytics plays a crucial role in interfacing Sales, BD Insights, Engineering, Catalog and other Business teams to help roll-out complex data driven projects/implementations that have company wide impact.
This role interfaces across the organization and focuses heavily on technical data handling expertise, XFN collaboration, data management, ETL framework design and improvement, taxonomy enrichment/ maintenance, data quality, data governance, custom reporting, and enriching data. The Data Operations Manager will also work closely with Engineering, Analytics and Product Management teams, in providing actionable insights and support for strategic initiatives along with building powerful tools for taxonomy administration. The scope involves both technically rigorous work, tapping into one of the largest pools of first-party data and 3rd party data in the grocery ecommerce space
ABOUT THE JOB
- Identify new automation opportunities, design and build new frameworks to support both internal / external data deliveries across various schedules
- Build strong relationships with Catalog and Ads Engineering to identify erroneous patterns in tooling and reporting, identify bugs in data transformations and rulesets that deteriorate the quality of data and metrics over time
- Come up with new process and tooling requirements to enhance existing workflows, reduce/eliminate manual intervention, and extract efficiencies in overall execution time / SLAs
- Create effective and thorough ERDs and BRDs to explain requirements to engineering, provide valuable recommendations to developers on process design and exception handling, identify and provide feedback to UI/UX teams to improve user experience
- As a custodian of Ads Taxonomy, always advocate and practice high standards and best practices in every delivery, every new design and implementation, to always maintain the highest quality of data
- Build strong relationships with peers both internally and externally, cross functional collaboration and regular engagement across disciplines is key to identifying new contribution areas and build influence
- Regularly explore and learn new design principles to identify and extract efficiencies in current ETL pipelines and deployed automation frameworks
- Contractor Team Management
- Process unification
- Facilitate collaboration; communicate and collaborate with other MA, data and BI teams members to enhance the quality of data products
- Adopting new solutions; frequently test and adopt new solutions and tools to improve deliveries whilst adhering to DataOps best practices
- Data Governance; Ensure every delivery meets the current data governance and policy guidelines, periodically review data sharing rules, track / report all exceptions created to fulfill JBP and contractual obligations
- Migration Support
- Identify address data / process leaks; analyze expensive query plans to identify inefficient joins and data distribution layouts, recommend improvements to increase efficiencies through proven optimization techniques
- Enforce thorough code reviews, implementation and support documentation, impact analysis, pre/post implementation assessments, and handover summaries
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in data driven environments
- Working experience in the retail data industry is highly preferred
- Proven experience of completing large projects end-to-end, with relevant documentation and handovers
- Experience working with cross functional teams regularly
- Must understand large cloud/in-house data warehousing architectures and MPP systems
- Experience in Performance Tuning and Process Enhancement to migrate existing frameworks to new tech/platforms
- Working experience moving/manipulating large amounts of data using any ETL, ELT or data transformation work streams. Experience working with ETL/ELT tools - Microsoft SSIS, Azure data factory, or anything similar
- Working with at least one cloud data architecture - AWS, Azure, GCP, or anything similar
- Working with at least one cloud based data warehousing platforms - Snowflake, AWS Redshift, Azure DW, Oracle Cloud, Google Big Query, or anything similar
- Advanced SQL - Joins, CTEs, Window functions, Data aggregation and normalization, Regular Expressions, SCD Type 1 and 2 to handle dimension data
- Strong understanding of fact and dimension objects
- Python scripting - Feature engineering, data transformation, data download/upload procedures, experience in using standard and proprietary libraries, creating data pipelines and alerting sub-routines
- Experience working with any issue tracking system such as Atlassian JIRA or anything similar
- Experience using GIT and GITHUB
- Working in an Agile environment and exposure to scrum is preferred
- Exposure to reporting tools such as Periscope, Tableau, Microsoft PowerBI, Snowsight, Mode, or anything similar is preferred
#LI-RemoteInstacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is in office and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For San Francisco, CA based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.
San Francisco, CA
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.
Company name: Instacart
Remote job title: Data Operations Manager
Job tags: ETL, MPP Databases, SQL