We are seeking an Applications Engineer to become an integral part of our North American service team! This is a work-from-home position supporting our US service and support office based in northern NY and our company headquarters in northern England. The primary service region is the southwestern USA and Mexico. You will monitor all aspects of clients PCB test machine needs by providing services such as phone support and troubleshooting, machine breakdown repairs, and custom test programming, as well as special projects assigned to support the continuous improvement of RoBAT products and processes. You will be responsible for delivering the highest level of customer service. You will report to the Worldwide Director of Applications and also interface closely with our Service Engineering Manager in our UK office on all machine service and hardware related issues.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform quarterly on-site preventive maintenance on all RoBAT machines under warranty or service contract. Includes organization and maintenance of a small spare parts inventory for machines within your service area.
- Provide on-demand telephone and email support for RoBAT customers regarding all aspects of machine operation, machine programming, and machine diagnostics.
- Build an effective relationship with each customer so that they trust RoBATs ability to add value by providing effective solutions to their PCB test needs
- Become proficient with the RoBAT internal suite of program generation software and machine diagnostic utilities for the purposes of...
- Generation of RoBAT test programs for customer circuit boards to be tested as required including debug and commissioning of new programs on customer machines.
- Evaluating customer generated test programs for accuracy and completeness, providing written reports when requested.
- Custom test frame design and test method implementation for special board test applications.
- Emergency machine breakdown support and service including occasional travel on very short notice, sometimes including weekends or holidays.
- Installation of new RoBAT machines into customer facilities.
- Customer training on all aspects of RoBAT equipment including setup, operation, programming, commissioning/debug, optimization, and diagnostics.
- Effectively handle all quoting and order processing duties for customers within the assigned region. This includes detailed evaluation of customer supplied data in order to make the best test product recommendations.
- Customize, assemble, and ship new tooling frames as orders demand (NY office only).
- Complete work orders in an efficient and professional manner.
- Maintain accurate and detailed records for each machine and specific jobs completed, including sufficiently detailed documentation for every customer site visit.
- Handle stressful situations with calmness and professionalism, and maintain the ability to complete necessary tasks while maintaining composure.
- Effectively plan and schedule required work (daily, weekly, monthly).
- Follow industry and company standards regarding safety policies and procedures.
- Communicate with management daily to best meet client needs.
In order to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education/Experience: Degree in mechanical or electrical engineering, computer science, mathematics, and/or a minimum of 2-4 years relevant experience in the printed circuit board industry. Must have relevant experience interacting with customers on some level.
- Language: Ability to read and interpret documents in English such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and technical procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence with professionalism and clarity. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of our organization. Some familiarity and comprehension of Spanish is also a plus.
- Math/Scientific: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to understand and apply basic knowledge of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Ability to create and execute experiments in a controlled way. Ability to interpret basic electronic schematics. Basic understanding of signal integrity concepts for high speed electrical circuits.
- Reasoning: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to extrapolate beyond the specifics of what was asked and logically infer additional pertinent details. Ability to analyze data and draw logical conclusions.
- Computer Skills: Individual should have working knowledge of common Microsoft Windows applications (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.). Some understanding of the internal Windows operating system is also required. The ability to understand custom software functionality and be able to identify and clearly explain defects is also necessary.
- General Skills: Excellent mechanical aptitude and attention to details. Proficiency with common hand tools (screw drivers, hammer, wrenches, pliers, etc.) and some small power tools (drills, saw, etc.). Ability to solder electrical components may also be required. Ability to use a pallet jack in order to move heavy equipment is sometimes required. Working knowledge of electrical circuits. Proficiency with common electrical measurement tools and the ability to diagnose electrical problems.
- Certificates or Licenses: Valid driver's license and passport.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- When not traveling to customer facilities, work will be from the employees home.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate or less.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is regularly required to use hands; reach with hands and arms, and talk and hear.
- The employee is frequently required to sit.
- The employee is often required to stand; walk; climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds over long distances.
- The employee must also be able to move/pull/push heavier equipment (up to 3500 lbs) short distances using a pallet jack.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus.